Day 55
Homer: "Hahaha - I have absolutely no idea what's going on"
I have a reason for the above quote. Try to guess what it is - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Woke up today about 7:30 - I guess to make up for yesterday. Played AOEII till about 8:30 or so. I was eventually victorious in my easy level - and the rest of my stupid team did practically nothing. So I opted to go for only 2 civilisations per team for the next game.
Finished watching 'Amistad' after that (while starting my washing). It was another very good film - I read a rather critical review after, saying that Steven Speilberg had inadvertantly used his directional flair to 'beautify' the slave trading sequence - I personally found it one of the most disturbing pieces of cinema I've ever seen. And I'm sure that some poetic licence was used to fill in the spaces of missing history - but the most unbelievable thing about it was that slaves case was successful - and that is really the surest piece of fact.
Went through lecture 1 of week 12 after that - about the Psalms. I found it interesting, but not riveting stuff. The lecturer's main point is that some things in the psalms (especially about grief) are so sacriligous that most Christians would call it 'unholy' to express such things - to which, to some extent I agree. But then there's also Paul's assertion that we shouldn't be governed by emotions. Once again, its finding the right balance, and doing things for the right reasons.
I then, coincidentally, read an article by Matt Redman which essentially cautioned the use of romantic language in Christian songs, which is almost completely contrary to what the lecturer said. Frankly, one of my favourite Christian cross-over songs is 'The Pieces Fit' by Considering Lily. And the reason I like it so much its that I listened to it prior conversion (as I recall) and after for a few months before figuring out that the 'you' being referred to is Jesus - it sounds like shes sereneding her husband, or some such. Maybe Song of Songs is the only place in the bible where its explicitly stated about that romance is an integral part of 'religion', but even if that book can not be taken as an allusion to the relationship between, say, Jesus and the Church, there are other references where the reverse is stated (ie, God's love for His people) in no uncertain terms - Hosea for instance, or Jesus' lament over Jerusalem. And what about the Church being Christ's bride? To suggest, as did Matt Redman's friend, that it is inappropriate for a 15 year old boy to sing that God is beautiful is taking political correctness to a rather insane extreme. If all I'm left with is God as being super powerful, etc, and maybe as an 'OK casual acquaintance' - where's my motivation? As Paul says, if I have not love, what am I? The entire bible's foundation is love, and if that cannot be expressed in a deep and meaningful way, especially to One so deserving as God, let alone, say, to one's friends........
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the biggest way that homosexuality has damaged the world is that it hinders one from expressing such things - even to God, since He is perceived as a he, even though He is above such petty things - such as in the above mentioned lament for Jerusalem, Jesus likens himself to a hen.
I read a tiny bit more of the Golden Age chapter in my textbook - essentially, up to the end of David's life. Technically, I've already read the next few pages on Solomon for my assignment - but that was more like skim reading, so I'll probably go through it again.
I finished watching 'Romy and Michelles High School Reunion' in the afternoon. It was quite enjoyable, but not really very substantial, as you could probably guess. The dream sequence was way too long, and the typical happy ending was too shallow and cliched. But the general banter between the two leads was pretty funny. I read a review which said that they carry the film along, despite poor direction, plot, etc and its very true. Especially Lisa Kudrow for me, though apparently, and I don't know how or where, the other actress won an oscar for best actress sometime.
After The Simpsons, started watching a French film - the dinner game. Apparently about a dinner where each member of some group invites an idiot - I guess to see which is the bigger idiot. But so far, the majority of the film has been just two people in one room, and quite irritating 'about to go, no wait a minute, do more stupid stuff, tells him to go, but he doesn't quite' etc.
Watched Ghost in the Shell - another great episode. I guessed the guy would turn out to be laughing man - actually I guessed it from the start, when they were talking about 'extremely clever hacker'. Though, of course, there is still no real proof.
Incidentally, I ordered stuff from Amazon today, including the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, as well as Matrix Reloaded, Mummy I & II, a Mandarin grammar book (which is probably too advanced for me) and Seinfeld seasons 5 & 6. I ordered it today, even though my address is not confirmed, because I also ordered a Christmas present for my parents and I need it to arrive in time. Even so, I had to upgrade the shipping (for an extra US$8), cos it told me it wouldn't arrive in time, though I don't know how it reached that conclusion.
Oh - and last night I succomed to going to see Jamiroquai at Supreme Court gardens on 16th December - for $90. Its not that I don't want to go - it'll be about the first really famous music group I've seen live. But the cost is, well, costly. And if I'm seeing Jamiroquai for $90, why aren't I seeing Coldplay for $120? I don't even have Dynamite, so most of the songs I'm probably not even going to know. Still, they say that they're one of the best bands to see live - so I probably won't regret it. And the Bennifactor tells me, which, as far as I know, I agree with, Coldplay is not that great live.
And U2 - who I would go and see almost no matter what or how much - has confirmed they are visiting practically every city in the world - with the one exception of Perth. So thats good, then.
And the final piece of news which is further proof that my life is here to provide the Trinity with a good laugh after a hard days prayer answering - I did not receive a call from the recruitment guy. So, as far as I know, I'm not starting that work tommorrow. And, even if I'm supposed to, he never told me the address! I'm glad all we're talking here is work, and I'm glad that I get the last say in deciding what I want, cos I wouldn't trust this guy with anything more. I'm guessing its just extreme disorganisation. I think tommorrow I'm gonna try and find out the details of recruitment people I've been to, and advise then to look for something, even in public practice, of only 3.5 days per week. Because, since I haven't heard anything, I guess this is the only guy who's looking, and I'm getting a little frayed by his methods.
I have a reason for the above quote. Try to guess what it is - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Woke up today about 7:30 - I guess to make up for yesterday. Played AOEII till about 8:30 or so. I was eventually victorious in my easy level - and the rest of my stupid team did practically nothing. So I opted to go for only 2 civilisations per team for the next game.
Finished watching 'Amistad' after that (while starting my washing). It was another very good film - I read a rather critical review after, saying that Steven Speilberg had inadvertantly used his directional flair to 'beautify' the slave trading sequence - I personally found it one of the most disturbing pieces of cinema I've ever seen. And I'm sure that some poetic licence was used to fill in the spaces of missing history - but the most unbelievable thing about it was that slaves case was successful - and that is really the surest piece of fact.
Went through lecture 1 of week 12 after that - about the Psalms. I found it interesting, but not riveting stuff. The lecturer's main point is that some things in the psalms (especially about grief) are so sacriligous that most Christians would call it 'unholy' to express such things - to which, to some extent I agree. But then there's also Paul's assertion that we shouldn't be governed by emotions. Once again, its finding the right balance, and doing things for the right reasons.
I then, coincidentally, read an article by Matt Redman which essentially cautioned the use of romantic language in Christian songs, which is almost completely contrary to what the lecturer said. Frankly, one of my favourite Christian cross-over songs is 'The Pieces Fit' by Considering Lily. And the reason I like it so much its that I listened to it prior conversion (as I recall) and after for a few months before figuring out that the 'you' being referred to is Jesus - it sounds like shes sereneding her husband, or some such. Maybe Song of Songs is the only place in the bible where its explicitly stated about that romance is an integral part of 'religion', but even if that book can not be taken as an allusion to the relationship between, say, Jesus and the Church, there are other references where the reverse is stated (ie, God's love for His people) in no uncertain terms - Hosea for instance, or Jesus' lament over Jerusalem. And what about the Church being Christ's bride? To suggest, as did Matt Redman's friend, that it is inappropriate for a 15 year old boy to sing that God is beautiful is taking political correctness to a rather insane extreme. If all I'm left with is God as being super powerful, etc, and maybe as an 'OK casual acquaintance' - where's my motivation? As Paul says, if I have not love, what am I? The entire bible's foundation is love, and if that cannot be expressed in a deep and meaningful way, especially to One so deserving as God, let alone, say, to one's friends........
I've said it before and I'll say it again - the biggest way that homosexuality has damaged the world is that it hinders one from expressing such things - even to God, since He is perceived as a he, even though He is above such petty things - such as in the above mentioned lament for Jerusalem, Jesus likens himself to a hen.
I read a tiny bit more of the Golden Age chapter in my textbook - essentially, up to the end of David's life. Technically, I've already read the next few pages on Solomon for my assignment - but that was more like skim reading, so I'll probably go through it again.
I finished watching 'Romy and Michelles High School Reunion' in the afternoon. It was quite enjoyable, but not really very substantial, as you could probably guess. The dream sequence was way too long, and the typical happy ending was too shallow and cliched. But the general banter between the two leads was pretty funny. I read a review which said that they carry the film along, despite poor direction, plot, etc and its very true. Especially Lisa Kudrow for me, though apparently, and I don't know how or where, the other actress won an oscar for best actress sometime.
After The Simpsons, started watching a French film - the dinner game. Apparently about a dinner where each member of some group invites an idiot - I guess to see which is the bigger idiot. But so far, the majority of the film has been just two people in one room, and quite irritating 'about to go, no wait a minute, do more stupid stuff, tells him to go, but he doesn't quite' etc.
Watched Ghost in the Shell - another great episode. I guessed the guy would turn out to be laughing man - actually I guessed it from the start, when they were talking about 'extremely clever hacker'. Though, of course, there is still no real proof.
Incidentally, I ordered stuff from Amazon today, including the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, as well as Matrix Reloaded, Mummy I & II, a Mandarin grammar book (which is probably too advanced for me) and Seinfeld seasons 5 & 6. I ordered it today, even though my address is not confirmed, because I also ordered a Christmas present for my parents and I need it to arrive in time. Even so, I had to upgrade the shipping (for an extra US$8), cos it told me it wouldn't arrive in time, though I don't know how it reached that conclusion.
Oh - and last night I succomed to going to see Jamiroquai at Supreme Court gardens on 16th December - for $90. Its not that I don't want to go - it'll be about the first really famous music group I've seen live. But the cost is, well, costly. And if I'm seeing Jamiroquai for $90, why aren't I seeing Coldplay for $120? I don't even have Dynamite, so most of the songs I'm probably not even going to know. Still, they say that they're one of the best bands to see live - so I probably won't regret it. And the Bennifactor tells me, which, as far as I know, I agree with, Coldplay is not that great live.
And U2 - who I would go and see almost no matter what or how much - has confirmed they are visiting practically every city in the world - with the one exception of Perth. So thats good, then.
And the final piece of news which is further proof that my life is here to provide the Trinity with a good laugh after a hard days prayer answering - I did not receive a call from the recruitment guy. So, as far as I know, I'm not starting that work tommorrow. And, even if I'm supposed to, he never told me the address! I'm glad all we're talking here is work, and I'm glad that I get the last say in deciding what I want, cos I wouldn't trust this guy with anything more. I'm guessing its just extreme disorganisation. I think tommorrow I'm gonna try and find out the details of recruitment people I've been to, and advise then to look for something, even in public practice, of only 3.5 days per week. Because, since I haven't heard anything, I guess this is the only guy who's looking, and I'm getting a little frayed by his methods.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home