Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Day 47

(Todd plays violin)
Flanders: "My son, my son" (sniffles)
Homer: "Come on Flanders! Hes not that bad"

Finished breakfast around 9:15. Finished watching 'Alice in Wonderland', and a few of the DVD extras, which finished around 10. It was quite an OK film, but, by nature of it being very bizzare, it is really just too weird to be very enjoyable. Plus, I don't like these fantasy shows where, at the end, everything is just a dream anyway.

Remembered to move my car at 10:10 - technically 10 minutes past the allowed 2 hours. I had to park it on the street last night, cos I was at the CMC meeting when B came home, and he parked in the spot.

I then went through the songs I had rated, cos there were, again, too many, and cut a few. Then I plugged in my ipod to update it, and it wanted to update nearly the entire collection - I guess because of the adding of album covers. So, cos I don't have a USB2, it took almost 2 hours.
In the interim, went through lecture 2 of week 11. Partly revision, but mainly about Daniel. Though, when I say 'about Daniel', the majority of the lecture was the lecturer explaining how Daniel and Revelation and bits of Matthew had been splice together to create the dispensational theologists pre-millenial view of the end times - including some very ridiculous sounding stuff. He was just about to go through 'another' way to read Daniel, which shall be of great interest to me, cos I'm of the view that trying to 'predict' anything based on apocalyptic literature is bound to be full of assumptions and guesswork, and is thus asking for trouble kind. But I was left drowing in a sea of dramiticised sensationalism.

After that, it was time for lunch, but I didn't really feel like eating anything sandwhich related, so just finished off my chips instead. I started watching 'The Greatest Story Ever Told', which is great, in parts, but there are way too many bits regarding Herod, Pilate and John the Baptist, who have very small roles in the actual gospels. Also, there are some strangly deliberate alterations to the text, such as the devil (presented as some old destitute guy in a cave) presenting the three temptations in reverse order, which really makes them sound stupid - he offers Jesus all the kindgoms of the world, and then, after, suggests that he turns stones into bread. Also, he meets Peter and Andrew at the river Jordan with John the Baptist standing by. At that time, also, he is introduced to Judas and John. James comes in a little later, but he is not John's brother - he is Matthew's. And Matthew is not only a tax collector, but a drinker, gambler and luster after women. I can understand that when presenting the gospel as a film, certain poetic license must be taken - some scenes must be cut for the sake of time/money, others must be interpreted, and the order might be a bit strange to connect the gospels with each other and avoid repetition. For example, there was a scene I quite liked where James introduces himself as 'little James' since he is the youngest in his family, then, when Jesus tells him His name, he says 'thats a nice name' and Jesus turns and smiles and says 'thankyou'. But, then, there is the old argument that Jesus is, generally, presented as too rigid and emotionless - He is predominantly a 'man on a mission', practically oblivious to the problems of the world. But rather understandable, considering this was 1951, when, I suppose, the Christian world was considerably more rigid than it is now. Though, even now, I doubt there would be many movie producers who would dare try and present a more 'non-religous' Jesus.
But it is a 199 minute film - Jesus has only just been arrested.

At 2:30, had to be at Willetton to sign church related papers - I guess I shouldn't say too much more, though the general congregation will undoubtedly know soon enough. My phone was out of credits, so I left at 1:50 to get a recharge figure. I then checked my messages - and I was required to bring the checkbook (turns out we didn't end up needing it). So I went back and got it - it was then around 2:10. As soon as I got back to the car, my mum rang, so I had to listen as patiently as possible. Luckily, she didn't have that much to say. I ended up being only 10 minutes late, or so. And that included a slight traffic jam on the 'freeway'.

Watched 'Bridget Jone's Diary 2' after that. It was just OK, but way too similar to the first, except in terms of volume of lafs and depth of emotional attachment.

I finished the chapter on Judges. Now up to a chapter titled 'Beginning of the monarchy' which is essentially 1 Samuel and half of 2 Samuel.
Only read three chapters of Deuteronomy last night - but I did start rather late. Maybe more tonight?

Done my washing - now got 5 shirts to iron. Still have to book my haircut. But still in limbo re: the job thing - I'm half thinking of doing the George thing (as I believe V suggested): just showing up on Monday. But, yeah right! I'm still half hoping I'll get more time off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home