Thursday, November 17, 2005

Day 48

Bart: "Its a Bart sales event - everything about me must GO!"

Was thinking of the above line, inserting 'Joe' for 'Bart', when going through my old business shirts, and finding 6 or so that were too small. So was wondering, if I could offload them to someone, thats the line I'd use. Hoopy.

Finished breakfast around 10:30 - yes, its another one of THOSE days. Don't know why two days out of the past three I've been sleeping so late.

Went through Mandarin lesson 15 - was paying attention this time, so could make all the responses and that. Went very well - I was even understanding the majority of the conversation at the end.

For the rest of the morning, started my ironing while watching the end of 'The greatest story ever told'. I still find myself, through the majority of it, how I would do it (and how much better it would be). However, although I didn't think much of the 'passion' sequence (Jesus doesn't really seem to be in much pain, and it is difficult to see Him as suffering for humanity's sake - the 'Father forgive them' line is ommitted, ie), I really enjoyed the resurrection sequence, which was quite short (the length of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah, which played from sunrise on the Sunday till Jesus' ascention), and underdone, but conveyed the right message, I thought.

After that, I went for my walk - the Monash Avenue/Gordon Street route. I neglected to look at the time when I left, but I figure it took about 30 minutes, probably a bit more. Was quite warm and fly-ee, but not exceedingly so. I guess I'm still walking too fast, but have difficulty slowing down.

My legs were tired then, so I just lay down while starting to watch 'The Emporer and the Assassin'. I still can't really understand any phrases, but, in terms of words, I'm understanding a lot more. Unfortunately, this sort of show is not gonna be the type of one where they say 'where would you like to go to eat?' My best chance is with the numbers - I've had some noticable victories with that - three time two; the answers six! etc.
I'm also quite enjoying the show so far - but I like the king guy, so I figure I might start not liking it when the woman begins siding with the assassin. I can but hope, though.

Watched 'Crash' in the afternoon. Quite a good show, but not nice, so its not the type of thing I'd want to watch again. It was also a little bit too much of a hyperbole - a lot of racism is a lot more subtle than that depicted in the show. Though, I guess, that had to make it obvious for it to be dramatic and shocking. I can just imagine most people walking away and not thinking it applies to them or most people they know - which is not really the case. I can't count the number of times I've heard people say "I'm not a racist or anything, but...." Its just the world we live in, I guess.

I then started reading the chapter on the birth of the monarchy. Probably got about 1/3rd to half way through. Its a rather long chapter, cos they go through the three main characters (Samuel, Saul and David) individually, as well as the usual criticisms re: historical setting, accuracy, editing, splicing etc.
Up to chapter 8 in Deuteronomy. I'm really not happy with my progress, but it is quite impossible to read faster and still grasp at least a little of what I'm reading.

Now let me be honest, here. I'm still enjoying my time off, of course, but in this past week, especially, I've found my productivity slipping. I haven't done many mandarin lessons, I've neglected my saxophone, I've cut back on my reading, though I've probably done more work in relation to the Bible School - including lectures, bible reading and especially textbook reading. However, I find myself at times not really wanting to do anything - though, somehow, the time still passes away. And granting my rather rapidly dwindling (though still considerable) fiscal situation, it probably would be better to start work Monday.
I've yet to hear from the guy - I think I shall ring him if I haven't heard by about lunchtime tommorrow.

Booked my haircut for 11 tommorrow. Hopefully it will be a good one - if not, I'm gonna start looking for another hairdresser. This one is quite expensive, and the last few I've gotten there haven't been great. I'm hoping I can get someone else instead of the usual lady.

Ghost in the Shell time now - yay! Probably my favourite show on TV now; actually, I'd say definitely. Its always new and fresh, and both the closing and opening songs are great, and there's still the overlying story arcs - like I still don't have much idea about what the title actually really means.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home