Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Grandpa Simpson: "Death stalks you at every corner..... aaaaah! Death!"

Woke up with my alarm at 6, which was bad cos I wasn't getting up at 6, but I forgot to turn it off the night before. Went back to sleep and woke up with the proper alarm at 7:30. Then got up about 7:40.

Didn't feel like breakfast. Watched a bit of Sunrise while I was waiting to leave. Saw some thing about bad bosses, which was inspired by that Devil Wears Prada movie, so they showed some clips.

Left at 8:30 to drive to Mt Lawley to pick up my mother. She was ready already (dur...), so we left almost straight away and drove down to Kelmscott via Graham Farmer Freeway then Tonkin Highway. Interesting.....

Anyway, we got there about 9:40, which was before anyone else - but only just before. It was really only immediate family - except for my mother's sister and her husband came as well. I met an.....hmmm.....Great Cousin, I guess, if there is such a thing. The daughter of a Great Uncle. Yeah.

So they had a viewing before the service thingy. That was interesting, cos I realised I'd never seen a dead body in person before. Its weird, cos it kinda looked like he was just sleeping, but then it kinda didn't. I expect the sensation would be different if it was someone who died 'wrongfully' - because my grandpa died of, essentially, old age (although technically it was cancer), he was obviously very old and scarred, etc.

So we waited awhile and then there was the service. It was fairly short, and was really just one celebrant-type lady talking. Was nice and simple, and she didn't make any drastic errors. Apart from the fact that my grandma had a little trouble hearing (but she got a recording and a type-written in large font copy after), everyone seemed to agree that it suited the type of thing that grandpa would've wanted.

Briefly spoke to some relos afterwards. Spoke to the daughter of my grandma's brother, who's husband is an accountant in a single person (as far as I could tell) practice. Gave her a card....just for networkings sake.

Went back to grandma's house after that, for a bit of lunch, etc. I tried to get grandpa's computer to work, cos my dad wanted a document off there about shares (he has quite an impressive portfolio), and also to print some letters later. But lightning struck some years ago and destroyed the printer - it also appears to have destroyed the disk and CD drive. So it was ultimately decided that a new computer was required.

Left just after two, after my dad and his brother had come back from the crematorium. Had to drive my mother back to Mt Lawley, then went back home myself. Arrived about 3:30. So I did my washing.

I found a photo of him....but its not a terribly good one. I didn't have my camera for very long at this point - back at Christmas in 2003; though he obviously looked a lot better back then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home