Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Dr Nick Riviera: "Did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?"

Woke up at 6. Managed to get to the knee point, but still too tired to concentrate. After reading a bit of CS Lewis' 'Prayer: Letters to Malcolm', he made the explicit point that it is better to pray on a noisy train fully-awake, then wait till a quiet bedroom and be tired. I will thus ignore this piousness tommorrow (since it will be Wednesday - it should be day two, but I haven't managed it once, yet) and have my shower first.

As you would have guessed, if you were a steady reader of this blog, I finished 'The Pilgrim's Regress' this morning - having quite a bit of time, since I didn't pray I was ready by 7:45. I think it is a book I shall have to read again at a later time to try and understand it better. Apparently, it is Lewis' first fiction work, so maybe its not so surprising that it is so confusing. As he says, the experiences in the book are quite unique to him.
However, 'Prayer: Letters to Malcolm' (apparently his last book) is once again the genius which I have come to expect from CS Lewis. Malcolm is an imaginary friend, sure, but you wouldn't know it if you didn't know it (!!). I'm up to about letter 4, and his views are brilliant. Bold, yet understanding - pious, yet accessible - learned, yet humble. For example, I know that Catholics like to pray to saints, and this is a huge no-no for charismatics, it seems. Yet Lewis says - if one can ask the living for prayer, then why not the dead? If the argument is 'well, cos they're dead', then we obviously don't really mean to rely on verses such as 'great cloud of witnesses'.

Worked 9-3, cos it was hot and I was almost sleeping at about 1. Got more banana cake - pretty darn tasty. Got a phone call re: Australia Day - lasting from 10am right through to 8:30pm. And probably later, since I think the narrows is closed till about 10pm.

At the intersection of Thomas road and Wellington street/Roberts road, I was at the front of the line at the traffic light, and it was on a bit of a slope and I forgot how high the clutch is in V's car. Anyway, I made the tires kinda screech. At least, I'm pretty sure it was me. Whoops. Was playing 'God He Reigns' at the time.....heh.
There is also a strange phenomenon, where there is a light that is continually flashing, which looks like an airbag sign. But I wouldn't have thought a car that old (and that small) would've ever had airbags. And I don't know why it would be flashing.

Did more music sorting stuff. Ripping more CDs - up to Coldplay. I have managed to sort out all my top rated (ie ipod) songs, such that I could change it back to automatic update and it should be fine. Except for one song - 'My Glorious' by Delirious? which I deleted by accident. Also, cos I've rated some of V's songs (I think just a few from the Kill Bill soundtrack), I once again have too many songs. However, once I rip up to Hillsong again at the lower bitrate, I should have extra space.

Finished watching 'Schindler's List'. I never get tired of that film - which is strange, since its so long and in black and white and, really, not what you'd call 'entertainment'. I'm thinking I have a kinda unhealthy obsession with WWII, especially since I have practically no interest in, say, the Vietnam or Gulf wars. Though some of the older ones, like the two American wars and the hundred years war I find rather fascinating.
But there's something about the, I guess, 'clinicalness' of the German army in WWII that is intruiging. I wonder if it would be possible to read Mein Kampf or watch Triumph of the Will and not attract CIA attention......heh. Even though I have read far less bigotted stuff than I'm sure Mein Kampf is and hated every second of it, I feel that Adolf Hitler was so crazy as to be interesting from that perspective. Maybe?

Up to 2 Kings chapter 5. Elijah has gone and Elisha is now doing his thing. I'm missing my Apocrypha, though. When I look at my bible from the side and see that I'm barely a quarter way through it (though that doesn't count Isaiah and those few other prophets), it makes me think I'm never gonna get to it. Certainly not before next semester starts, and thus not till after it ends. At least.....
And I still don't have my booklist, yet my Koorong voucher expires in 7 days. I figure I should just go in tommorrow and do some browsing. Maybe buy another CS Lewis book? Heh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home