Thursday, November 10, 2005

Day 41

Homer: "I'm gonna lose my job, just because I'm dangerously unqualified!"

The party's over...
Went for an interview today back at the same place from, like, 4 weeks ago, and they offered me a quite-well paid, 3.5 day week position. I'm not absolutely gonna take it, because I have another interview at a different place early next week - but it seems I will be starting work agian around Monday the 21st.
*sigh*

Finished breakfast around 9, and finished off watching The Goodies. The last episode was great - mainly taking off Grease and Saturday Night Fever, the token 'high-speed montage' satirised musical numbers from such shows as Singin' in the Rain, Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins, plus some other musicals I don't know - I think West Side Story was one. Plus, there was an improvised Congo line and Hula dance. You should note that all this involved the three Goodies being chased by six or seven of the very traditional black-helmeted British coppers, because they tried to introduce mixed dancing (boy with girl) at a disco. Don't ask.

After that, read another few pages more of my Simpsons book. Getting to some great quotes and sequences - this chapter is all about Homer. Watched Cape Fear yesterday, and all I was thinking about after that was when the Feds were trying to change Homer's identity to Mr Thompson and Homer couldn't catch on. And that was a sequence in the book, pointing out the subtle animation differences that produce Homer's highly vacuous stupidity blank stare thingy.
"I think he's talking to you"

Went through Mandarin lesson 12 after that. Still doing pretty well.

Read my text book through to the end of Deuteronomy, and began reading the introduction to the Prophets.
In the middle of that, got the call telling me about the above-mentioned interview at 3pm. That was about 12:15 or so.

Had lunch while beginning to watch my final film 'Blow'. It is actually quite enjoyable so far - a lot more light-hearted than I thought it would be - unlike, say, those mob movies based around the same subject, which is full of irritating domestic disputes, etc. This film is closer to 'Catch me if you can' than those. Thats so far, anyway. It will probably all go bad more towards the end.

Went through lecture 2 of week 10 at about 1pm. It was considerably more on Jonah, then a little on Nahum and Habukkuk. I didn't really get into what he was saying about Jonah, because I don't really think the message of the book is that hard to miss, although it seems all a lot of people know about Jonah is the whale, and I understood the lecturer's beef about churches being too inward focussed.

Did Mandarin lesson 14 at around 4pm. Interestingly, there was a bit there I completely didn't remember - where they briefly mentioned the Mandarin word for 'plus'. But anyway, still no real problems.

The Simpsons today was yet another episode from season 2 - thats been the theme this week. This time, the three-eyed fish leading to Mr Burns going for Governor. I picked up something I hadn't noticed before. Due to the three-eyed fish appearing, Governon Bailey sends inspectors to the nuclear plant - the bit where they are noting violations is a brilliant sequence. So after failing to be bribed by Mr Burns, the head inspector leaves, saying "either get this place up to code, or we'll shut it down". Now, if they shut down the nuclear power plant, what will happen to the town of Springfield? They'll just happily exist without power?
(Incidentally, Mr Burns loses his shot at governor, but it seems the plant isn't shut down anyway. But lets just ignore that, shall we?)

"Oh great God, be close enough to hear me now" - Nicole Nordeman
"My Jesus wouldn't be welcomed in my church, his bloodied and dirty feet might stain the carpet" - Todd Agnew

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home