Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Day 39

Jeremiah 33:3: "Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know."

Using the above quote cos it was mentioned in today's lecture. Referenced on the cover of U2's 'All that you can't leave behind' - its "J33-3->" - a sign in the middle of the extreme left side that appears at first glance to be about airport gates, or some such. Quoted by Bono as "God's phone number".

Went through lecture 2 and 3 of week 9 today. Apart from the above, the lecturer made a wonderful reference, using Jeremiah 31:31-33 (a reference to a 'new covenant') to point out that the way God solved the 'Israel perpetually breaking the covenant' problem was to make it so that we humans are altogether out of the picture, by making the new covenant between Father and Son, with the Son representing 'all things' as it says in Ephesians 2:15 (or there abouts). I obviously can't convey the importance of the event here, but it was great. Its moments like those I hoped for when I decided to do this thing.

Finished breakfast around 9:30 or so, and went through lecture 2 first off, since FD was watching 'Dodgeball', and I've already seen it, and it was OK but not necessary to watch again.

Watched 'The Forgotten' while trying FDs experimental Mocha - using instant coffee, lots of milk, and chocolate syrup. It was OK, but too sweet and not either coffee or chocolatey enough.
It was an alright sort of film, though the conclusion that it was all about aliens was really a bit extreme, and stoopid. I'm hoping the end of 'Flightplan' will be considerably better.

Started watching 'XXX' while eating lunch, but it wasn't that good, so I went for my walk. Walked pretty much the reverse of last Wednesday, going more straight towards Hampden, cos I had to post letters, then straight along the length of Gordon, then up and back down Monash. Took me a little less than 45 minutes, maybe 40 or so. Was a rather warm day cos of the sun, though I guess the cool breeze kept the flies away.

Got back to watch the end of 'XXX'. Shows me I didn't miss much. Interestingly, the doomsday device was called 'Ahab', presumably after the king Ahab in the bible what was married to Jezabel. But there doesn't seem to be any logical connection that I could see.

Watched 'Cape Fear' after that, and it was another thoroughly disappointing Robert Deniro picture, like 'Taxi Driver' and 'Raging Bull'. So called "best thriller ever" - it was not very thrilling; mainly, it was boring. The guy is obviously not insane - I mean, there is method in the madness - but the progression really makes no sense. The best part was seeing the connections with Sideshow Bob. Like that music - that was good.

Got about half way through Mandarin lesson 21, then quit - was too frustrated. Definitely gonna go back to about lesson 10, and see how from there. Hopefully have time tommorrow to start the sax again - waited WAY too long already.

Read a tiny bit more in my text book - almost finished the chapter on Numbers. Up to Isaiah 51 in standard bible. I could've read more last night, cos I wasn't tired per se. But the words were just passing through, so I felt it was pointless continuing.

The Simpsons tonight was interesting, and I may try to get V's clarification on this, since he seems to pick up these small things. Sometimes.
It was another fairly old episode (based on the animation and sound) - where Homer buys Demoxinil and grows hair and thus becomes a 'junior executive' with a near-perfect assistant Carl (and I just realised his name is the same as that other Karl - Lenny's alter-ego type). While not a super favourite of mine, it has one of the best endings (though not particularly funny) - where Homer asks Marge if she'll still love him even though he's lost all his hair again, and Marge sings him the song he (actually, Carl) ordered for her on their anniversary - 'You are so beautiful', originally by Joe Cocker.
Anyway, so theres the scene where Homer has lost his hair and Carl has been fired, and Homer has to give a speech. And Carl gives him the cards and tells him he can do it. Then there's a scene where Carl says something like "you're no fool, cos my mother said never to kiss a fool" then kisses Homer, and then Homer walks away and it shows Carl wearing short shorts. Now, I never recall seeing that bit before. I don't remember what happened, but I am almost positive that that did not. Cos based on things that Carl does and says ("my reasons, are my own", "you are one of lifes beautiful creatures" etc) you have to wonder if he is gay. And that scene pretty much explicitly declares it.
But I may never know.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home