Friday, November 11, 2005

Day 42

Zephaniah 3:17: "The LORD your God in your midst.
The Mighty One, will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."

The lecturer made the point today that there are not many churches which paint a picture of God as described above - that he is a loving parent who is often, if not constantly, in a happy stupor just because we exist. The image he conjoured was God going "tra la lah la lah" as He was, say, vaccuming the house.

Milk gone bad agian, so had to use more of the instant cereal type. Started reading more of the Simpsons book, but FD wanted to do the shopping ASAP (since tommorrow is no good), so I had to go and watch the rest of 'Blow'.
I quite enjoyed the film - it didn't end very spectacularly, but I guess, with a true story, you have to take what you can get, even with poetic licence. I was expecting him to die - but he didn't. Actually, there really wasn't that many deaths at all. He just got arrested and that was that. Quite sad, really. Except that he deserved it, of course.

I chose another 5 movies, but FD wanted to continue, so the total was 18 again.
Watched another Hilary Duff film first off - "A Cinderella Story". Apart from being utterly predictable and rather weak, even compared to the original Disney version, it was nowhere near as bad as 'Raise Your Voice'. But its irritating that she can't play anyone except the lovable yutz who comes good at the end. Please....

Did Mandarin lesson 14 after that. Still going quite well, although I could not believe that I forgot how to say "excuse me, please let me ask...." I just drew a complete blank.

Then, finished lecture 3 of week 10, as detailed above. Finished Zephaniah and Ezekiel. Will be up to post-exilic prophets in week 11.

Read only a tiny bit more of my study book. Still at the introduction to the prophets.

Got to the last chapter of Isaiah (66) last night, but was too distracted to finish it. Which was interesting, cos the leaders retreat tonight, Pastor B quoted from 66:1. Someone also mentioned the "old covenant written on stone, new one written on hearts" which I remembered (from lectures in week 9) as Jeremiah 31:31-33, though I don't think it was mentioned as being that.

Before the Simpsons, started watching my first movie, 'Bambi'. There are two things that really strike me:
  1. the abscence of dialogue. The vast majority of the film is noises, music and scenery.
  2. the similarities with The Lion King. Which was a great film - I should rent it again.
Just got past the bit where Bambi's mother died when I had to stop. The death scene was so very understated that its not really as sad as people seem to make it out to be. I wonder if the young kiddies would even understand that she is dead.

All day leader's retreat tommorrow. Looking forward to the lunch - 1.5 hours long as scheduled. I have to say, too, it is quite awe-inspiring seeing all the 'big guns' of the church together as a group. I really don't feel like I belong there.

"You are God in heaven;
And here am I, on earth.
So I'll let my words be few......"
- Matt Redman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home