Class: "We are the adequate, forgettable, occasionally regrettable caretaker presidents of the USA"
I'm using that quote cos I was watching The Rich List (quite by accident - I was taping Desperate Housewives for Mogli) and the actual Rich List for the final one was US Presidents. Last names only. From whenever.
So I was thinking about how many I knew - without really trying. And from that episode of The Simpsons, I get 6: "there's Taylor, there's Tyler, there's Filmore and there's Hayes". Then there's that guy who "died in 30 days" but he had a long complicated name - William Henry Harrison, as I later discovered. Then Milhouse played Lincoln and Ralph played Washington.
Then from other Simpsons episodes we have Nixon and Kennedy (from a Duff Beer commercial, and others), George Bush senior (who Homer doesn't like, AKA Mr Wilson), Gerald Ford (who moves in after Bush and like nachos), Carter ("he's history's greatest monster!") and Bill Clinton ("I'm a pretty lousy president"). That's 12.
We also see Jefferson as a lonely monument, but I don't think its ever mentioned that he was president.
Then there's the 8th president - Van Buren (I think its Martin), from Seinfeld.
There's also Chester A Arthur, the 21st (or 23rd...) president, and also a school, from Die Hard with a Vengeance. Though I had to look it up, as I forgot the name. That's, well, 13 really.
Then, from memory, we have George Bush junior, Reagan, Truman, FDR, LBJ and Ike. There's also the other Roosevelt, but I think I've always assumed it was just different names for the same guy. But, anyway, that's 19 without effort. And I only needed 15. And mainly thanks to pop culture. Thanks, pop culture!
Got up about 9:30. It was a nice little sleep. It was even nicer to know that my ironing and shopping was done already, so I could just sit around and stuff.
Started watching Bonnie and Clyde, which seems pretty good so far, although they have only accomplished one major robbery, and have already picked up a third person and have also committed a murder already. Anyway, they some pretty strange kinda people, really. Which I guess you'd expect. Haven't seen Gene Hackman yet, who is a detective apparently, so I guess there must still be quite a way to go. But its not nearly as long as most of those old classics are - its only just over 2 hours, I think.
Went to work at 1. Pretty boring, as per usual.
Had cake at 3:15 or so, cos it was someone's birthday last week, and someone else none too subtly mentioned that they didn't bring cake. So they brought cake. There you go.
Left at 5.
Spent most of the night, after watching The Simpsons, sorting out songs on itunes - cos I discovered this new way of viewing them where it groups them with the album covers. So it was very easy to see which songs weren't grouped properly. Also, I decided there were too many songs classified 'pop', so I reclassified some of them as 'oldies' - like The Beatles and stuff like that. I think I was quite inconsistent in my definition of what is an 'oldie', though. Pink Floyd escaped, for example, cos that was under 'rock' already. Yeah...
Went through Mandarin unit 5 again. It was way too easy. Huh.
Slept around 10:30, but didn't actually get to sleep till about 12. Most annoying.
So I was thinking about how many I knew - without really trying. And from that episode of The Simpsons, I get 6: "there's Taylor, there's Tyler, there's Filmore and there's Hayes". Then there's that guy who "died in 30 days" but he had a long complicated name - William Henry Harrison, as I later discovered. Then Milhouse played Lincoln and Ralph played Washington.
Then from other Simpsons episodes we have Nixon and Kennedy (from a Duff Beer commercial, and others), George Bush senior (who Homer doesn't like, AKA Mr Wilson), Gerald Ford (who moves in after Bush and like nachos), Carter ("he's history's greatest monster!") and Bill Clinton ("I'm a pretty lousy president"). That's 12.
We also see Jefferson as a lonely monument, but I don't think its ever mentioned that he was president.
Then there's the 8th president - Van Buren (I think its Martin), from Seinfeld.
There's also Chester A Arthur, the 21st (or 23rd...) president, and also a school, from Die Hard with a Vengeance. Though I had to look it up, as I forgot the name. That's, well, 13 really.
Then, from memory, we have George Bush junior, Reagan, Truman, FDR, LBJ and Ike. There's also the other Roosevelt, but I think I've always assumed it was just different names for the same guy. But, anyway, that's 19 without effort. And I only needed 15. And mainly thanks to pop culture. Thanks, pop culture!
Got up about 9:30. It was a nice little sleep. It was even nicer to know that my ironing and shopping was done already, so I could just sit around and stuff.
Started watching Bonnie and Clyde, which seems pretty good so far, although they have only accomplished one major robbery, and have already picked up a third person and have also committed a murder already. Anyway, they some pretty strange kinda people, really. Which I guess you'd expect. Haven't seen Gene Hackman yet, who is a detective apparently, so I guess there must still be quite a way to go. But its not nearly as long as most of those old classics are - its only just over 2 hours, I think.
Went to work at 1. Pretty boring, as per usual.
Had cake at 3:15 or so, cos it was someone's birthday last week, and someone else none too subtly mentioned that they didn't bring cake. So they brought cake. There you go.
Left at 5.
Spent most of the night, after watching The Simpsons, sorting out songs on itunes - cos I discovered this new way of viewing them where it groups them with the album covers. So it was very easy to see which songs weren't grouped properly. Also, I decided there were too many songs classified 'pop', so I reclassified some of them as 'oldies' - like The Beatles and stuff like that. I think I was quite inconsistent in my definition of what is an 'oldie', though. Pink Floyd escaped, for example, cos that was under 'rock' already. Yeah...
Went through Mandarin unit 5 again. It was way too easy. Huh.
Slept around 10:30, but didn't actually get to sleep till about 12. Most annoying.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home