Sunday, July 09, 2006

French President: "No. Let us just act snooty towards Americans from now on."

Saw the results of Germany vs Portugal; Germany winning 3:1. When Portugal scored its consolation goal in the 88th minute, there was virtually no cheering.

Its kinda weird not having to count money anymore......I have, like, time after the service.

Went for lunch at MacDonalds. I had nuggets. They weren't as good as I remember....probably cos they didn't offer me any sauce.

Did some accounts stuff. Started watching Traffic. Was feeling kinda tired....I think I played a bit of CivII.

Watched The Simpsons, then wrote out checks, then I watched Planet Earth while eating dinner. I didn't think it was really anything more special than those I'd seen before - I really miss it in the later shows with David Attenborough that he is too old to actually go out in the field, so you never see him now he just does background narration. The one thing that was incredible I thought was a Great White shark catching seals - there was this one shot where it leapt completely out of the water and then some - like a whale breaching only a lot more so. It made Jaws look like some harmless minow.....scary stuff.

I left to go to V's house then.

Had to get petrol, cos my car's fuel guage was on its last flashing rectangle. And when I got there it was very crowded - probably cos the petrol was like 128 cents, or so. Anyway, it was pouring rain, and the only one I saw available was on the extreme end when the rain was coming from, and the roof only extends out over the car, so if I filled up there I would've been soaked. So I tried, and the only other available spot was up the other extreme end - so it was actually quite dry there. But, of course, then the wind changed direction and came from the front instead, so my legs got pretty covered in freezing cold water. And then I was only wearing slides, and not particuarly good ones, so I had to walk very slowly through the exposed area to the building to pay the bill, and it was still raining, and there was this huge depression puddle in the middle.....lovely weather, anyway.

V's parents were having like another function thingy with church people, though not too many. There was this weird sign on the door....
There were some people watching Pirates of the Carribean (numero uno), but I decided I should study for my exam. Then, after a while, V said I should use the TV room, cos it was more quite - but then he played his ipod anyway, cos he'd just got a new Pink Floyd CD. So we both sat in there - he was reading some economics book, or something. Then the Pink Floyd CD was up, so he played some playlist. Then he changed and read some magazine; The Economist, probably. And so that continued until about 1, when I decided that I'd studied enough. And V was getting pretty tired, so we both just lay around talking about stuff with Radiohead etc playing for an hour.....it really reminded me of what people do when they take drugs - though maybe thats from watching Traffic. A pity times like that have to end....but then theres inevitably stuff to do, and that.
So we finally remembered about the soccer (like, why we were there in the first place) and turned it on just as the anthems were starting. Or maybe finishing.

I thought the game was fairly good - very fast paced, especially the first 35 minutes or so of the first half. I'm really glad that Italy scored that goal, because a game decided on a badly awarded penalty is really bad - that is, if you don't really care who wins. And although the first French penalty shouldn't have been, there was another in the second half that probably should've been, so that was fair, I guess.
But then, of course, it went to extra time, and Zidane got a red card for headbutting, and there were no more goals.
So there was a penalty shootout, and Italy scored 5 from 5 which was enough for them to win. Saw the presentation - I think V's favourite part of the match was watching the Italians act like happy little children.

And then to bed. At 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home