"Take me out!" - Franz Ferdinand
Maybe it was the Seinfeld episodes I was watching during the late afternoon, or maybe because I was again listening to said song a little earlier tonight, but my brain was doing its usual tinkering, which brought to my mind something I was thinking at some point prior. And what incredibly important and insightful subject was that? The connection between what we shall call 'dating' and 'contract killing'.
In Pulp Fiction, Jules and Vincent are outside the door of what turns out to be 4 what must be drug pushers who will all soon be dead. To pass the time before I believe 8 in the AM when they have been told to actually arrive, they are discussing the forthcoming 'date' ("it is not a date") that Vincent will have with Marcellas Wallace's wife.
"The big man's going out of town for a few days," says Vincent, "and he told me to take care of his wife while he's gone."
"Take CARE of her?" asks Jules, gesturing to his head with his fingers in the shape of a gun.
"No!" retorts Vincent, "Take her out, show her a good time, thats all."
Thus making clear that to "take care" of someone either means to be nice to them, or to kill them.
And then, comes the Franz Ferdinand song. Now, it may be the influence of Mogli, who says that he likes Franz Ferdinand, but that they're so lame. If you didn't know Mogli, that might sound like a slight contradiction to you. But continually hearing this song about some guy pleading with some girl to go out with him....it kinda lends itself to the 'being lame' persona.
And so, not that I've ever genuinely considered that this is actually what they're singing about, but it seems far more cool to me (and this is how I interpret the song whenever I hear it) that he is saying 'take me out' in the mob sense of 'being whacked'.
And it just seems an extreme coincidence that there are these two instances relating to the world of fairly intimate relationships which, even taken in context, can also mean a violent end to said relationship.
As Goran's partner said on Criminal Intent that one time "thats two coincidences. One more and its a conspiracy." Yet the one more escapes me at this current point. Thats probably cos I'm thinking about sleep.
Got up about 9:30. After my shower, I spent about 45 minutes doing some more account stuff, which was printing some letters that were supposed to go with some thing from last week, and then putting all the docs onto my thumb drive. I left just before 11, so didn't get to FCC till about 11:30. And then AuntieC was sick....
I was at church till about 4 doing account stuff; actually, only doing account stuff till 3, then I was waiting for & to set-up Prison Break, and he couldn't do it. Pity...not cos I really wanted to watch it - VQ explained the plot to me, and it sounded really, really stoopid.....much more so than I had previously thought. But it would've been nice to sit around and do nothing for a while. Oh, well.
Back home, I watched more Seinfeld while doing ironing. Then I watched The Simpsons while doing some more ironing. Then I had dinner. Then I watched more Seinfeld up until the end of season 3, then the extras for the Untouchables, then an episode of Ghost in the Shell (so there are only 3 left) while doing more ironing.
Then the ironing was over, and it was time for Enough Rope with Chris Martin. And, once again, he didn't really say anything important that I didn't already know. There were a few soundbits in there.....and it was fascinating to hear him talk about Gwenyth Paltrow as if they're already divorced already......
In Pulp Fiction, Jules and Vincent are outside the door of what turns out to be 4 what must be drug pushers who will all soon be dead. To pass the time before I believe 8 in the AM when they have been told to actually arrive, they are discussing the forthcoming 'date' ("it is not a date") that Vincent will have with Marcellas Wallace's wife.
"The big man's going out of town for a few days," says Vincent, "and he told me to take care of his wife while he's gone."
"Take CARE of her?" asks Jules, gesturing to his head with his fingers in the shape of a gun.
"No!" retorts Vincent, "Take her out, show her a good time, thats all."
Thus making clear that to "take care" of someone either means to be nice to them, or to kill them.
And then, comes the Franz Ferdinand song. Now, it may be the influence of Mogli, who says that he likes Franz Ferdinand, but that they're so lame. If you didn't know Mogli, that might sound like a slight contradiction to you. But continually hearing this song about some guy pleading with some girl to go out with him....it kinda lends itself to the 'being lame' persona.
And so, not that I've ever genuinely considered that this is actually what they're singing about, but it seems far more cool to me (and this is how I interpret the song whenever I hear it) that he is saying 'take me out' in the mob sense of 'being whacked'.
And it just seems an extreme coincidence that there are these two instances relating to the world of fairly intimate relationships which, even taken in context, can also mean a violent end to said relationship.
As Goran's partner said on Criminal Intent that one time "thats two coincidences. One more and its a conspiracy." Yet the one more escapes me at this current point. Thats probably cos I'm thinking about sleep.
Got up about 9:30. After my shower, I spent about 45 minutes doing some more account stuff, which was printing some letters that were supposed to go with some thing from last week, and then putting all the docs onto my thumb drive. I left just before 11, so didn't get to FCC till about 11:30. And then AuntieC was sick....
I was at church till about 4 doing account stuff; actually, only doing account stuff till 3, then I was waiting for & to set-up Prison Break, and he couldn't do it. Pity...not cos I really wanted to watch it - VQ explained the plot to me, and it sounded really, really stoopid.....much more so than I had previously thought. But it would've been nice to sit around and do nothing for a while. Oh, well.
Back home, I watched more Seinfeld while doing ironing. Then I watched The Simpsons while doing some more ironing. Then I had dinner. Then I watched more Seinfeld up until the end of season 3, then the extras for the Untouchables, then an episode of Ghost in the Shell (so there are only 3 left) while doing more ironing.
Then the ironing was over, and it was time for Enough Rope with Chris Martin. And, once again, he didn't really say anything important that I didn't already know. There were a few soundbits in there.....and it was fascinating to hear him talk about Gwenyth Paltrow as if they're already divorced already......

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home