Saturday, July 01, 2006

Grandpa S: "I used to be with IT, then they changed what IT was, now what I'm with isn't IT anymore, and what is IT seems weird and scarey to me"

"It'll happen to you....."
Homer: "No way, man!"

I think I'm becoming one of those old fashioned people. It struck me on Thursday when I was cleaning my teeth (or something) and the bathroom door was open and I was playing some collection of something CD, and Roy Orbison came on singing 'Only the Lonely'. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't really think much of that song - the backing sounds really off-key - but just the fact that my computer has that song on it and is playing it....
And just then I was thinking of telling everyone about this really cool song that is so funny and that, and nicely sacrilegious (I can never spell that word) in a round-about sort of way - called 'Spirit in the Sky' by Norman Greenbaum - which is from a similar sort of collection, including other songs like 'San Fransisco' (the 'be sure to wear a flower in your hair' one), 'Brown-eyed girl' by Van Morrison and 'Good Vibrations' by the Beach Boys; which I was trying to explain to Mogli yesterday is the song what The Good Guys ripped their theme song from. And the fact that I even knew that was enough evidence to him that I've already become Homer from that episode with Hullabalooza, as the above quote demonstrates.
Once again, I blame V for this. The last two CDs I bought (Stadium Arcadium and Echoes) are a direct result of his profound musical influence over my life; such as U2, Live, Radiohead, early REM....Planetshakers....and more recently, as those two CDs demonstrate, Pink Floyd and Red Hot Chilli Peppers. Its interesting to note also, that those first three, although I was, not so much introduced, but began to like, via V, I have now become, in terms of number of CDs owned, and range of songs liked (or loved), far more obsessed than him.
Although I'm not totally out of it yet, cos most 'in' people consider that Stadium Arcadium 'rocks', even though I don't really think it does 'rock' which is why I like it, cos its such a delight to listen to, and doesn't offend the ears like some of their earlier stuff. But most music I have heard that has been recommended to me by Mogli, who, although, apparently, (as he claims) is not Mr ARIA Chart, is definitely more 'in' than me, I find 'pretty good' at best. Though he freely admits he likes a lot of obscure punk stuff.

But I don't care - its a great song:

"Never been a sinner, never sinned
I've got a friend in Jesus
So I know that when I die
Gonna set me up with the spirit in the sky

Going up to the spirit in the sky
Thats where I'm gonna go when I die
When I die and they lay me to rest
Gonna go to the place thats the best"

It was lucky I had that to say, cos the rest of the day was real boring - just watching Seinfeld (about 4 episodes during the day) and doing account stuff while sorting out some music. I spent so much time in front of the computer, but really didn't seem to accomplish much. I think its cos I was reorganising all this blah which I should've been doing as I went along, instead of doing 12 months worth in one sitting. Ai....

Woke up at just after 8. Was planning to go shopping since it was nice and early, but I didn't cos I didn't really need to. Gonna go on Monday instead.

Hmm....saw that Italy beat Ukraine 3:0 in the end. Although the highlights showed plenty of very, very close attempts by Ukraine - I could hear Martin Tyler saying 'it just isn't Ukraine's night tonight' and 'well, Italy gets away with it once again', etc.

And we almost got out of it, but last Sunday we were finally coaxed into going to the quiz night, for what may have been 3 out of 3. And, of course, we didn't win, although we did come second, so now I have this $10 Bunnings voucher, which I can't see me using for anything.

Afterwards, V invited us back to his house. Had a bit of food, cos I hadn't had dinner. Then we watched England vs Portugal which, in typical English fashion (during this World Cup, at least) was horribly boring - there were maybe 5 shots on goal per team throughout the whole 120 mins (inc extra time), and none of those, really, challenged the goalie.
So there were penalties, and the Portuguese goalkeeper stopped 2, which proved to be enough, Portugal winning 3:1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home