"Send me away, Minos, even to Tartarus, if Tartarus can cure glibness." - CS Lewis, Till we have faces
The first time I'd even seen Tartarus mentioned, outside of UWA email addresses...
Woke up too late again, so no praying.
My Dr Seuss book finally arrived. Didn't get time to read it till just before bed (about 11:30), so only read the one story - "Happy Birthday to You". The main thing I notice is the books that aren't in there, like 'Fox in Sox' and 'The Butter Battle Book' and 'Because a little bug went Ka-choo'. But, I guess he wrote lots, and different people like different ones.
Left work about 20 minutes early (I worked a bit in my lunch hour) so I could race home and get to South Perth in time. On the way home (about 5:30) I got a message from V saying it had been changed to KFC on Manning road. Had a mental block as to the whereabouts of Manning road - all I knew was that it was further than South Perth. So I had to get my map from my car to discover is up near Curtin there. So I left the house around 5:45.
There was a huge traffic jam on Mounts Bay Road - bumper to bumper from before the Swan Brewery. I was getting multiple calls from V which I finally answered around 6 (just as I was getting out of the jam). It was actually LH telling me that they were stuck in the city and wouldn't be able to get to the place before 7 so could I buy them food. Since driving a manual car with one hand isn't that easy, I had to like end the call there.
Got to the KFC in Manning road - cos I wasn't about to drive around South Perth, just in case theres not one there. I then wasn't confident about the directions I was getting to the actual place (cos I had left my map in my house), so I drove there to make sure, then drove back and bought food ("you must be hungry" says the serving lady. "yeah, sure" I say in a distracted manner). I ended up getting to the place about 6:40, or so, and waited "maybe 5, 10 minutes" for them all to show.
So the conference was pretty good. The main thing that struck me was though she said that wisdom was, if not a curse, then not something to be so sought after (and I actually feel that, if given the opportunity, she would clarify that there are different types - re: sources - of wisdom), yet she seemed to exhibit lots of it herself. Much of what she said, such as "the gospel has never been about what we (lowly mortals) want" would just as likely come from the mouth of my Intro to Theol lecturer. In fact, her denunciation of the prosperity gospel, infecting some of the major churches in Australia, is an almost carbon copy of what he said some weeks ago.
I guess my point is that, although I find some things she said a little hard to accept, its impossible to deny, based on other things she said, that she is genuine in her attempts to do what she is doing. I think it would be cause for concern if someone had worked in a slum for 40 years with the poor, then came back and said "I think we (Christians) are all doing enough, and its clear we've got this whole 'concern for the poor' thing nicely sewn up already".
Unfortunately, its hard not to feel a bit hypocritical - cos I feel absolutely no calling to minister to the poor at present. Not cos I don't want to - I just really don't want to.
Woke up too late again, so no praying.
My Dr Seuss book finally arrived. Didn't get time to read it till just before bed (about 11:30), so only read the one story - "Happy Birthday to You". The main thing I notice is the books that aren't in there, like 'Fox in Sox' and 'The Butter Battle Book' and 'Because a little bug went Ka-choo'. But, I guess he wrote lots, and different people like different ones.
Left work about 20 minutes early (I worked a bit in my lunch hour) so I could race home and get to South Perth in time. On the way home (about 5:30) I got a message from V saying it had been changed to KFC on Manning road. Had a mental block as to the whereabouts of Manning road - all I knew was that it was further than South Perth. So I had to get my map from my car to discover is up near Curtin there. So I left the house around 5:45.
There was a huge traffic jam on Mounts Bay Road - bumper to bumper from before the Swan Brewery. I was getting multiple calls from V which I finally answered around 6 (just as I was getting out of the jam). It was actually LH telling me that they were stuck in the city and wouldn't be able to get to the place before 7 so could I buy them food. Since driving a manual car with one hand isn't that easy, I had to like end the call there.
Got to the KFC in Manning road - cos I wasn't about to drive around South Perth, just in case theres not one there. I then wasn't confident about the directions I was getting to the actual place (cos I had left my map in my house), so I drove there to make sure, then drove back and bought food ("you must be hungry" says the serving lady. "yeah, sure" I say in a distracted manner). I ended up getting to the place about 6:40, or so, and waited "maybe 5, 10 minutes" for them all to show.
So the conference was pretty good. The main thing that struck me was though she said that wisdom was, if not a curse, then not something to be so sought after (and I actually feel that, if given the opportunity, she would clarify that there are different types - re: sources - of wisdom), yet she seemed to exhibit lots of it herself. Much of what she said, such as "the gospel has never been about what we (lowly mortals) want" would just as likely come from the mouth of my Intro to Theol lecturer. In fact, her denunciation of the prosperity gospel, infecting some of the major churches in Australia, is an almost carbon copy of what he said some weeks ago.
I guess my point is that, although I find some things she said a little hard to accept, its impossible to deny, based on other things she said, that she is genuine in her attempts to do what she is doing. I think it would be cause for concern if someone had worked in a slum for 40 years with the poor, then came back and said "I think we (Christians) are all doing enough, and its clear we've got this whole 'concern for the poor' thing nicely sewn up already".
Unfortunately, its hard not to feel a bit hypocritical - cos I feel absolutely no calling to minister to the poor at present. Not cos I don't want to - I just really don't want to.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home