"What are you gonna do to stop me this time baby?" - Jamiroquai, Main Vein
Went for lunch at 10:30. It was too early, so had to wait about 20 minutes or so for Taurus to open.
Went to Gloria Jean's in Harbourtown after that, for VVL. It was....OK, but OK only. They seemed in a bit of a rush, so I don't think they took due care to make it just right.
Played more AOEII. My first try of medium difficulty was, as I predicted a complete disaster. I got destroyed very early on. I started a new game using teams, and this time its much better. One of my members has been wiped out, but I have been able to easily repel all attacks so far. And am almost ready for 'my turn to do some wiping out. Woosh! with my heat-ray'. Sorry. A War of the Worlds quote - from the 1970s soundtrack, not the movie.
Did a little bit of church accounts stuff.
Left for Jamiroquai at 4:30. It was, as I predicted, way too early. But, in the end, a small thing. Detailed account as follows:
Arrived at about 5 (got dropped off by Katty, driving my car). S almost lost her purse thing, by leaving it on the road. I had to risk my life to pick it up. There was a long line, but it all disappeared quite quick. Went into the unlicensed area, which was a good choice, cos all the licence people were roped off at the back. Thus, if anything, we were too close.
There was a DJ on for about half an hour. Then, there was some strange 'Whatsisname and the Whosiwhatsits' old-fashioned jazz/funk quartet. Then another DJ.
In the middle of that, we went and got food - $8 for a chicken roll and small chips from some travelling Chicken Treat van! $8! To be expected, I guess.
Then some white dressed duo visavie 'Ministry of Sound' types (guy doing mixing, girl doing singing). In the middle of that, it was getting really cold, so we went and bought the souvenir T-shirt things. Only $25, which isn't bad, and it looks pretty cool.
By that time it was 7:45, and everyone was standing up as the 'White People' were finishing. It was a then approx half hour wait till the main event began. In the interim, they played various house songs - the first being an overtly, explicitly Christian gospel/house type fusion song. And when I say overtly - it began, for example, with a quote from one of Paul's letters ending in 'for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus'. Same singer as a similar type song I've heard before. I'm sure a lot of Christian 'pureists' would object on the basis that its preaching a 'lovey-dovey verging on new age type' gospel, but I've been hearing alot about the praises of people like Johnny Cash and U2, who put themselves in the gap - identifying, like Moses and the golden calf incident, with the sinners instead of trying to shout across the divide. And I was frankly astonished at how well it was received. I believe, if I was not saved, and I heard such a song, I would stand there in outright disgust since it appears I'm trying to be converted. But everyone just danced and bobbed along lines like 'call on His name and be saved'.
I remembered that Jamiroquai was supposed to come on at 8:23. At 8:23, S looked at her timepiece, and noted that they weren't on. Literally, as she finished speaking, the lights went black and they all came on. Jay Kay wearing the (as I remembered when I saw it) typical stylised Indian headress, what he normally wears during live performances. I think.
Started with 'Canned Heat', which was a great start. Then played 'Space Cowboy', which I didn't know. Then 'Cosmic Girl', which is OK - I really know the chorus only. Then played 'Revolution', apparently from their first album, which was very much more hardcore than most of their songs. Very good!
After that was my favourite track of the night - 'Little l' - good because its got the clapping as an integral part of the song - you feel like you're contributing to the flow, yeah?
The order gets a little confused after that. They also played, from Dynamite - 'Dynamite' and 'Seven Days in Sunny June'. From A Funk Odyssey - 'You give me something', 'Love Foolosophy' and above quoted single line from 'Main Vein' (inbetween a large 'medley' of two songs). From Synkronized - 'Black Capricorn Day' (another favourite - cos of the 'hey' bit). From Travelling Without Moving - 'Use the Force' and 'High Times'.
The final song was '(Don't) Give Hate a Chance', from Dynamite. Was dedicated to George Bush, which I found interesting - cos calling a politician's entire family '(expletive) criminals' sounds a little bit like hate to me.
Then there was an encore, which was 'Alright' from Travelling Without Moving - a well chosen encore song - good, but not great enough that you're desperate for more.
Finished around 10:15, which means it was just shy of 2 hours - pretty good for $90, I guess.
Had to wait out in the pretty freezing cold (there were two light showers over the course of the performance - nothing too bad) for about 15 minutes for Katty to come. Then went to Oriels and ate fries and drank a Sprite Spider. Then went home - it was about 11:30.
S, who is crazy, decided to watch the Matrix Reloaded, which, as noted previously, arrived on Friday. Began at about 12:30, finished just before the end (cos she was sleeping), at about 2. It was thus too late to write this blog, or do QT. So, I have completed it on Monday, 12/12 at 12:37 in the PM.
Went to Gloria Jean's in Harbourtown after that, for VVL. It was....OK, but OK only. They seemed in a bit of a rush, so I don't think they took due care to make it just right.
Played more AOEII. My first try of medium difficulty was, as I predicted a complete disaster. I got destroyed very early on. I started a new game using teams, and this time its much better. One of my members has been wiped out, but I have been able to easily repel all attacks so far. And am almost ready for 'my turn to do some wiping out. Woosh! with my heat-ray'. Sorry. A War of the Worlds quote - from the 1970s soundtrack, not the movie.
Did a little bit of church accounts stuff.
Left for Jamiroquai at 4:30. It was, as I predicted, way too early. But, in the end, a small thing. Detailed account as follows:
Arrived at about 5 (got dropped off by Katty, driving my car). S almost lost her purse thing, by leaving it on the road. I had to risk my life to pick it up. There was a long line, but it all disappeared quite quick. Went into the unlicensed area, which was a good choice, cos all the licence people were roped off at the back. Thus, if anything, we were too close.
There was a DJ on for about half an hour. Then, there was some strange 'Whatsisname and the Whosiwhatsits' old-fashioned jazz/funk quartet. Then another DJ.
In the middle of that, we went and got food - $8 for a chicken roll and small chips from some travelling Chicken Treat van! $8! To be expected, I guess.
Then some white dressed duo visavie 'Ministry of Sound' types (guy doing mixing, girl doing singing). In the middle of that, it was getting really cold, so we went and bought the souvenir T-shirt things. Only $25, which isn't bad, and it looks pretty cool.
By that time it was 7:45, and everyone was standing up as the 'White People' were finishing. It was a then approx half hour wait till the main event began. In the interim, they played various house songs - the first being an overtly, explicitly Christian gospel/house type fusion song. And when I say overtly - it began, for example, with a quote from one of Paul's letters ending in 'for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus'. Same singer as a similar type song I've heard before. I'm sure a lot of Christian 'pureists' would object on the basis that its preaching a 'lovey-dovey verging on new age type' gospel, but I've been hearing alot about the praises of people like Johnny Cash and U2, who put themselves in the gap - identifying, like Moses and the golden calf incident, with the sinners instead of trying to shout across the divide. And I was frankly astonished at how well it was received. I believe, if I was not saved, and I heard such a song, I would stand there in outright disgust since it appears I'm trying to be converted. But everyone just danced and bobbed along lines like 'call on His name and be saved'.
I remembered that Jamiroquai was supposed to come on at 8:23. At 8:23, S looked at her timepiece, and noted that they weren't on. Literally, as she finished speaking, the lights went black and they all came on. Jay Kay wearing the (as I remembered when I saw it) typical stylised Indian headress, what he normally wears during live performances. I think.
Started with 'Canned Heat', which was a great start. Then played 'Space Cowboy', which I didn't know. Then 'Cosmic Girl', which is OK - I really know the chorus only. Then played 'Revolution', apparently from their first album, which was very much more hardcore than most of their songs. Very good!
After that was my favourite track of the night - 'Little l' - good because its got the clapping as an integral part of the song - you feel like you're contributing to the flow, yeah?
The order gets a little confused after that. They also played, from Dynamite - 'Dynamite' and 'Seven Days in Sunny June'. From A Funk Odyssey - 'You give me something', 'Love Foolosophy' and above quoted single line from 'Main Vein' (inbetween a large 'medley' of two songs). From Synkronized - 'Black Capricorn Day' (another favourite - cos of the 'hey' bit). From Travelling Without Moving - 'Use the Force' and 'High Times'.
The final song was '(Don't) Give Hate a Chance', from Dynamite. Was dedicated to George Bush, which I found interesting - cos calling a politician's entire family '(expletive) criminals' sounds a little bit like hate to me.
Then there was an encore, which was 'Alright' from Travelling Without Moving - a well chosen encore song - good, but not great enough that you're desperate for more.
Finished around 10:15, which means it was just shy of 2 hours - pretty good for $90, I guess.
Had to wait out in the pretty freezing cold (there were two light showers over the course of the performance - nothing too bad) for about 15 minutes for Katty to come. Then went to Oriels and ate fries and drank a Sprite Spider. Then went home - it was about 11:30.
S, who is crazy, decided to watch the Matrix Reloaded, which, as noted previously, arrived on Friday. Began at about 12:30, finished just before the end (cos she was sleeping), at about 2. It was thus too late to write this blog, or do QT. So, I have completed it on Monday, 12/12 at 12:37 in the PM.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home