Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Day 19

Principal Skinner: "We got you this time Bart. There's no such thing as Scotchtoberfest!"
Willie: "There's not? You used me Skinner! You used me!"

They say you learn something new everyday. Well, I dunno about that, but there has been an incident where I kinda learned something, cos I probably already knew it, but it was as good as being forgotten.
So I bought Mandarin II for US$270, cos I was nearing the end of Mandarin I? Up to lesson 10 out of 16? Um, no. Try 10 out of 30.
See, the lessons are on 16 CDs, with 1 containing general background information on China and its culture, etc. But, see, the case is in two 'pages' with 8 CDs per 'page'. And, when orignally loading the CDs onto the computer as MP3s, I, in my finite wisdom, must've decided that the first 16 lessons is enough, for now, and I'll load on the other 14 later. Life, being that it is, that was about a year ago (probably), so I forgot. It was only when I pulled out the incredibly dusty set to take to my parents house (in case I got the opportunity to learn some more - I didn't) that I discovered the extra 8 CDs. So. There you go, then.

Watched Schindler's List again, after V had it for like, a year or so. Now my parents have it, so maybe it will be another year. Ah.... beautifully glorious incredible film. I think this is the first time I've seen it after realising (and confirming) that Isaac Schtern is Ben Kingsley - the guy who apparently played Ghandi, and was also in The House of Sand and Fog, etc. Its strange, cos he looks so old and thin and he's got hair.
And the two main actors - Liam Neeson and Ralph Fiennes are so incredibly believable. One of my favourite lines in the film - cos it represents the insignificance to the SS of the Jews was Amon Goeth's first line of dialogue:
Amon is being chaffuered through the Jewish Ghetto in Krakow. His subordinate is describing the situation. "This street divides the ghetto pretty much in half. On the right, ghetto A. Skilled craftsmen, and the like. On the left, ghetto B. Surplus labour. The elderly and infirmed mostly. Which is where you will want to start, I think (ie start sending the weak to be gassed). Well, do you have any questions, sir?" And Goeth says "Yeah, why is the top down, I'm **** freezing."

The other films I saw over the few days:
Spiderman 2. Just as bad as Spiderman 1. I don't see how people are calling this the ultimate comic book movie.
Collateral. Thoroughly enjoyable. So glad I finally managed to watch it - being wanting to for half a year, or so. I didn't like the ending - I wanted Tom Cruise to win. But, I guess you can't expect more from Hollywood. But just how did Jamie Foxx get from talking to her down on the street on his cellphone up to her room in the time it took for Tom Cruise to climb one flight of stairs? And how is Jamie Foxx such a good shot against a professional hitman who can kill 8 other professional bodyguards without breaking a sweat? Nevermind.
Fist of Fury, AKA The Big Boss, starring Bruce Lee. There really wasn't that much fighting, and the story was slow, slow, slow. Enjoyed it slightly more than Enter the Dragon AKA Game of Death, but still much prefer The Chinese Connection AKA Fist of Fury. Confusing, these titles....
The Manchurian Candidate. Meryl Streep, I must say, was superb, although she reminded me too much of Hillary Clinton. Jon Voight's role was too small. Denzel Washington's role was too typical of what he always seems to do, and thus boring on the whole. And that Liev guy - it was too obvious he was a bad guy - since he always seems to be. And he just looks like it. Another film that reminded me of Vanilla Sky - cos of that 'what is dreaming, what is not', and the doctor who was like the tech support guy. Yep.
The Stepford Wives. Yes, it was weird, but a very enjoyable weird show. I think Glen Close and Christopher Walken are what made the film for me - though Bette Midler's part was also very fun. Nicole Kidman had to carry the film, yes, but she seemed to uptight - too much like she was in a 'The Others' type thriller. I guess that was the point, in a way, but it didn't really work for me. It was strange to see a film like this where the big secret is revealed almost straight away.

I've now written three pages of notes for my assignment (handing in Friday), but that covers only about 2 & a half books (out of 7) , and I've really only done very briefly on Hosea, and haven't yet started to cover either Micah or Isaiah. I fear I'm gonna have way too much material. Though the vast majority is probably duplicated already.

Finished the chapter in Confessions on the Book of Memory. Only a few more chapters to go, now. Its really all just reflections and stuff, now. Disappointing, really.

Me got cold, now. I was pretty much fine on Sunday morning, then, as I drove down to my parents house I got a very bad sore throat, and it progressed from there. I now have no capacity for smell, or, hence, taste.
As Dr Nick Riveria would say - "Did you got to Hollywood Upstairs Medical School too?"
"The thigh bones connected to the, other bone. The other bones connected to the, red thing. The red things connected to my, wrist watch. Uh oh."
"The coroner - I'm so sick of that guy."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home