Day 11
Submarine Captain: "Whenever we go out from land, we sing this proud naval song:"
Village People: "In the navy, you can sail the seven seas;
In the navy, you can put your mind at ease, etc"
(submarine submerges; Village People drown)
Another not too good sleep night. Woke up the first time about 7.....then kept sleeping/waking/sleeping/waking etc. Maybe because I seemed to disagree with last nights 'fat night'. Eventually got out of bed about 8:30.
Started going through SEEK emails again - only one position that looked promising, so I applied for that. Haven't heard back yet.
Got a phone call from an auntie from church - not sure which one. Apparently there's gonna be a collection on at least two of the times that Rev Rutherford will be here speaking - luckily, I only have to supervise counting, as per usual. However, it seems that it will be during the seminar, not after. So, looks like I'm gonna like miss the point of the whole thing. Again.
Got another phone call from old work saying that the ICAA package had gone there. And, if they insist on sending it to a work address - which seems to be the case - there ain't nothing I can do about it, because there's no allowance on the web-site changing details thing re: unemployment. Stoopid.
Read a tiny bit more of Confessions. I'm up to a very long chapter about reflections on memories - its about a quarter of the book. And, as I said yesterday, its not really very exciting compared to nearly everything previous, which has been fantastically great.
Did my Mandarin lesson 8 straight off in the morning, for a change. Although it has got quite practical in usage fairly quickly (unlike the sax, see below), it has thus got rather difficult, also - "I would like now to go with you to the Beijing Restaurant to eat lunch", etc. Just prior to this, I noticed my chinese character book down in the bookshelf - I feel it might help if I can connect some of these words to characters. Then again, it probably will make things worse.
Although this Pimsleur method is probably the quickest re: memory retention, it gets irritating that you have no idea how to spell it using pinyin, and thus its hard to learn words from other people, cos, even if they spell it, you don't know how to pronounce the letters. I have a vague recollection from some website I visited before, but only very vague.
Finished week 7 lectures. Although it should have been a quite interesting lecture (on Samuel), I, and the live class there it seemed, just couldn't really get excited by it. I did find a part rather enlightening - that of Hannah's prayer, which Mary's prayer echoes in the New Testament (he asked if anyone could pick it - I could, because of the Hillsong song "Exceeding joy", the chorus of which, I discovered quite a while ago, is based on Mary's prayer, even though it has a very old-testament-psalmy feel to it). It is strange, though, (and no-one picked this up - another irritation of studing externally) that Luke would try and parrallel old testament scripture (unlike Matthew, for instance, who does it prolifically), since Luke is writing to Theophilius (or whatever his name is) who has been identified as a non-Jew.
Kinda skipped lunch today - so now I'm hungry. While eating a Chokito (which I ate for the first, and probably last time) and drinking tea, I watched Gothika. A good film, but, while sufficiently creepy and suspenseful, the story was quite loose and predictable, and, again, not all explained very well. But, because the genre is similar, I was forced to draw a comparison with Godsend, and, well, Gothika kicked its butt. But that's not saying a lot.
After that, I went to Garbo (Garden City, Booragoon? I'm believing that shorthand less and less), primarily to buy a new foil for my shaver, since it broke and is thus I could'nt shave since Saturday, cos it was too sharp (F has already mentioned how ironic it is). Since F forgot his shopping on Saturday, I was also suckered into buying globes. Surprisingly, I found the shaver part with considerably more ease than the globes (they were with, like, handyman stuff in KMart - what the?). I then decided to test my theory of whether "The relative enjoyment of Gloria Jean's Very Vanilla Latte is inproportial to size" - since the large size always seems to taste considerably not as good as the regular size. So, I tried the small (only 40c cheaper than regular. Unfortunately, there is also considerable differentiation in VVLs between different Gloria Jean's stores (ie, Leederville is considerably worse than Carousel and Harbour Town), and I am not a frequent proprietor of the Garbo variety. So, although it was good, it wasn't as good as regular sizes I've had before. I am thus doubting my theory.
A girl there commented that she liked my Simpsons T-Shirt. Unfortunately, it wasn't really the comment I was expecting, thus it was one of those moments where I said something quite forgettable, and thought of a much better comment later - along the lines of "I'm just your average fanatic". Its probably the lack of human contact.
Completed lesson 7, 8 and part of lesson 9 on the sax. I stopped not because I had had enough, it was too hard, or time was up, but because I was beginning to gag on the mouthpiece. I think I've figured out something thats wrong: when I was learing trombone, even after learing, say, A, B & C, they'd straight away introduce Hot Cross Buns, or Mary had a little lamb, etc, so it actually feels like you've accomplished something. I must have the capacity now to play 60 million tunes (though none of them very well), but there doesn't (seem) to be anything recognizable in what I'm playing. It is quite de-motivating.
Village People: "In the navy, you can sail the seven seas;
In the navy, you can put your mind at ease, etc"
(submarine submerges; Village People drown)
Another not too good sleep night. Woke up the first time about 7.....then kept sleeping/waking/sleeping/waking etc. Maybe because I seemed to disagree with last nights 'fat night'. Eventually got out of bed about 8:30.
Started going through SEEK emails again - only one position that looked promising, so I applied for that. Haven't heard back yet.
Got a phone call from an auntie from church - not sure which one. Apparently there's gonna be a collection on at least two of the times that Rev Rutherford will be here speaking - luckily, I only have to supervise counting, as per usual. However, it seems that it will be during the seminar, not after. So, looks like I'm gonna like miss the point of the whole thing. Again.
Got another phone call from old work saying that the ICAA package had gone there. And, if they insist on sending it to a work address - which seems to be the case - there ain't nothing I can do about it, because there's no allowance on the web-site changing details thing re: unemployment. Stoopid.
Read a tiny bit more of Confessions. I'm up to a very long chapter about reflections on memories - its about a quarter of the book. And, as I said yesterday, its not really very exciting compared to nearly everything previous, which has been fantastically great.
Did my Mandarin lesson 8 straight off in the morning, for a change. Although it has got quite practical in usage fairly quickly (unlike the sax, see below), it has thus got rather difficult, also - "I would like now to go with you to the Beijing Restaurant to eat lunch", etc. Just prior to this, I noticed my chinese character book down in the bookshelf - I feel it might help if I can connect some of these words to characters. Then again, it probably will make things worse.
Although this Pimsleur method is probably the quickest re: memory retention, it gets irritating that you have no idea how to spell it using pinyin, and thus its hard to learn words from other people, cos, even if they spell it, you don't know how to pronounce the letters. I have a vague recollection from some website I visited before, but only very vague.
Finished week 7 lectures. Although it should have been a quite interesting lecture (on Samuel), I, and the live class there it seemed, just couldn't really get excited by it. I did find a part rather enlightening - that of Hannah's prayer, which Mary's prayer echoes in the New Testament (he asked if anyone could pick it - I could, because of the Hillsong song "Exceeding joy", the chorus of which, I discovered quite a while ago, is based on Mary's prayer, even though it has a very old-testament-psalmy feel to it). It is strange, though, (and no-one picked this up - another irritation of studing externally) that Luke would try and parrallel old testament scripture (unlike Matthew, for instance, who does it prolifically), since Luke is writing to Theophilius (or whatever his name is) who has been identified as a non-Jew.
Kinda skipped lunch today - so now I'm hungry. While eating a Chokito (which I ate for the first, and probably last time) and drinking tea, I watched Gothika. A good film, but, while sufficiently creepy and suspenseful, the story was quite loose and predictable, and, again, not all explained very well. But, because the genre is similar, I was forced to draw a comparison with Godsend, and, well, Gothika kicked its butt. But that's not saying a lot.
After that, I went to Garbo (Garden City, Booragoon? I'm believing that shorthand less and less), primarily to buy a new foil for my shaver, since it broke and is thus I could'nt shave since Saturday, cos it was too sharp (F has already mentioned how ironic it is). Since F forgot his shopping on Saturday, I was also suckered into buying globes. Surprisingly, I found the shaver part with considerably more ease than the globes (they were with, like, handyman stuff in KMart - what the?). I then decided to test my theory of whether "The relative enjoyment of Gloria Jean's Very Vanilla Latte is inproportial to size" - since the large size always seems to taste considerably not as good as the regular size. So, I tried the small (only 40c cheaper than regular. Unfortunately, there is also considerable differentiation in VVLs between different Gloria Jean's stores (ie, Leederville is considerably worse than Carousel and Harbour Town), and I am not a frequent proprietor of the Garbo variety. So, although it was good, it wasn't as good as regular sizes I've had before. I am thus doubting my theory.
A girl there commented that she liked my Simpsons T-Shirt. Unfortunately, it wasn't really the comment I was expecting, thus it was one of those moments where I said something quite forgettable, and thought of a much better comment later - along the lines of "I'm just your average fanatic". Its probably the lack of human contact.
Completed lesson 7, 8 and part of lesson 9 on the sax. I stopped not because I had had enough, it was too hard, or time was up, but because I was beginning to gag on the mouthpiece. I think I've figured out something thats wrong: when I was learing trombone, even after learing, say, A, B & C, they'd straight away introduce Hot Cross Buns, or Mary had a little lamb, etc, so it actually feels like you've accomplished something. I must have the capacity now to play 60 million tunes (though none of them very well), but there doesn't (seem) to be anything recognizable in what I'm playing. It is quite de-motivating.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home