Monday, October 10, 2005

Day 10

Marge: "You feel soft - whats wrong?"
Homer (after being butted by reindeer): "I've been tenderised"

Woke up at about 7, but it was too early so I went back to sleep and woke again at 9:45. Had to rush outside straight away and move the car, because it only gets two hours from 8.

After breakfast, finished watching Elf. It turned out to still be funny, but had a predictable, overly sentimental, shallow ending. Understandable, I guess, since its a more a kiddy show.

Tried to find some articles or stuff for my Solomon assignment, and the next one on Amos, by using Google Scholar, without success. Eventually, I'm just gonna have to face my Unnatural Fear of Libraries.
Anyway, so I discovered that I actually got my dates wrong, and the external being one week later than internal only applies at certain times - ie, when you're completing the course live and they have to send you the DVDs as they're filmed, so you get them a week later. Thus, if I complete the Solomon one as assignment 1, its already overdue. However, if I choose that as assingment 2, I have till week 10. Thus, Amos has to be assignment 1, which is due week 9. However, I really should procrastinate no longer....

Watched lecture 2 of week 7. Have thus finished Judges and now onto Samuel. Most of the lecture, however, was someones lecture presentation thingy, about David.

Watched Godsend while having lunch. Your pretty much typical thriller post Sixth Sense type thing. Storyline not explained well, and ending too open and unsatisfactory. Robert De Niro's talent pretty much wasted, again. He did well, but no good type scenes. The film had potential, I think, but not capitalised on.

Completed lesson 6 of the sax and did a little of lesson 7. I'm still not really very happy with my low note playing (as in anything below A), and not too happy with the high D, or above high F. But it seems to be slowly getting better.

Completed lesson 7 in Mandarin. Getting really very complicated, but at least I can sort of say some kind useful stuff. Like today, after dinner, I told F ("I would like to drink some tea"). It was quite well received - as far as I could tell.

Continued reading my books. Only got through a few pages of The Confessions of St Augustine. However, I seem to be past the 'story' bit and up to his more poetical psalm like musings. The last chapter on the death of his mother was another fantastic chapter - just because of the way she was described - how her submission to her abusive husband won over the respect of her mother-in-law, and eventually led to her husband's conversion, etc.
Almost finished the chapter on the history part of Exodus, the next chapter is on the message part. I think it would be fascinating to be able to study the literature of surrounding civilisations (esp the Egyptians in this case) to try and discover where the Exodus fits into the actual time. However, this being such an important part of biblical study must've been tried many, many times, as yet without a very definitive answer.

Am currently watching Half a Loaf of Kung Fu (starring Jackie Chan) - a rather old film. Still packed full of the trademark Chan comedy, with all his hilarious facial expressions. However, the old film look, sound and bad dubbing makes it rather tiring to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home