Thursday, July 19, 2007

"One day more!" - Les Miserables

Not that I want the holiday, in general, to end, of course - but it will be nice to sleep in my own comfy warm bed in my quiet little street. And have a decent shower. This King's Cross place....its a bit, just a little bit, y'know, dodgy and that. And tonight will be the last night. And, I have to say, I ain't gonna be missing it.

Got up about 9:20. Left a bit before 10, I guess.
Went straight to the internet cafe. Stayed there till about 11:30.

Went down to Chinatown, to Market City. Had Nandos. V thought that was pretty funny. For some reason, we both really struggled to finish. I actually had to save the last quarter of my Coke Zero, cos it was just too much.

Then went downstairs to the markets. Wandered around in there for quite a bit. But there wasn't nothing new.

Went over to the World square under the EY building, cos V wanted to buy more weird stuff from the Asian grocer. So, yeah.

Then went back to the Pitt street market. Went to Myer and had a bit of a look around there. V bought some jumper which was on sale. Went up and had a look at the floors up there. So a floor of Emo clothing. Then some DVDs which said they weer under $15. I saw XMen and thought, this is great - but it was actually $20. So I guess it just must've been select ones. Saw The One for $10, but V was going on about how stupid it was, and I really only wanted it for the last scene (where Jet Li fights himself), which isn't worth $10. Besides, I don't need to go spend anymore money.

So then went for a wander into a part of the city where we hadn't been - sortof north and west - though we haven't really been north and east, either. Anyway, didn't see much. I was on the lookout for Krispy Kreme, but didn't see that. Saw some Eiffel Tower like thing on the top of some building - I think it was just a transmitting tower. There was some kinda park nearby - but it wasn't very nice.

So then we were walking back and it was 2:45 and it was like 5 hours to dinner, so its like, why don't we go watch Harry Potter? And so we did.
Yes, well, we weren't expecting much from it, I don't think. And that's good, cos it really wasn't very good. At the start, nothing much happened. Then, later on, nothing really happened. Until the end, when nothing happened at all. So, yeah. A whole lot of nothing going on. Which is kinda weird, cos it doesn't look like it will be like that. Oh, well. Maybe I just didn't understand cos I haven't seen the two before this one. Or, maybe not.

Then it was only 6, so we went to Borders - good ol' late night shopping. I looked at some really good U2 books, but the best was like $60 - forget that!
Then went to find Jason and the Argonauts, which I did with the help of the service guy. Its by some Greek guy starting with A - Aristopolus; well, not that, but something along those lines. More ls. Anyway, the point is, its not Homer. Which has really confused me about O Brother, Where Art Thou? (coincidentally, perhaps, used in my last post), cos that's supposed to be (loosely) based on the Odyssey (though interpretively so, of cos - since its set in 1920s America. And its a comedy). But the only bit familiar to me was where they meet these women who are clearly supposed to be the Sirens - but those are in Jason and the Argonauts! Which is why I thought that story was called the Odyssey. But the Odyssey is about Odysseus returned to Greece from Troy - which is Homer's other work about the Trojan horse and Achilles and stuff - The Iliad. Ai.....
Anyway, so I was almost tempted to buy the Odyssey, just so I could try and work out what on earth is going on there. But I didn't. Cos its long and in poetry type form. As most of those old books are - not easy to read. Like Shakespeare.
Then I went back to the music section and found a book similar to the good-but-not-so-good U2 book (the story behind each song) for REM. So looked at Stand, Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People, Bad Day etc. Great.
Then it was 6:50, so we left.

But we were still really early, of course. So took the long way round by walking north on Pitt street for a while - I think V was trying to find a way down to walk along the harbour. But they were all wharves, and blocked with gates. So we had to go back down to King street and get to the wharf from there. Then walked down to I'm Angus and got there about 7:20.
So I had ribs - and, silly me, I should've got the half. Cos that was a pig and a half, seriously. I took a photo - V wanted me to put my hand next to it to show how big it was, but that didn't really work out. Anyway, I couldn't finish it all, of course. Left about 5 or so. Couldn't even finish all the mash. But V just got a 300g fillet, and he couldn't finish all that, either. I think it was the bread we had to start - but that was good bread.
Then I had an Irish coffee - but it was way too strong - both the coffee and the whiskey. That's probably how its supposed to be. Took me about an hour to finish it. Then it was 10, so we tried to leave in a hurry. But the bill has to go back and forth a few times.....oh well.

Then walked over to the internet cafe. Left about 11:00.

Slept about 12:30. Did a bit of packing, but there was someone sleeping again, so couldn't really test to see if everything will fit. V was looking a bit worried there....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home