Wednesday, July 18, 2007

"Oh, brothers, lets go down. Lets go down, come on down. Oh, brothers, lets go down; down to the river to pray" - O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Another song that popped into my head for no other reason, really, than that the beat seemed to match my walking. Oh, and we were going to Hillsong (again) at the time. It seemed appropriate, thus, I guess....

Got up about 9:50. I didn't think I stayed in bed so long after the alarm, but I guess time doesn't lie.
Left about 10:30. Got a sausage roll - it didn't seem as good as it had previously been...

Went down to the internet cafe. Got a white chocolate mocha from GJs, which was alright. There is thus only one more to try (the Irish nut creme), though I still haven't had a normal coffee. They have a triple hot chocolate, which looks pretty nice, but I'm there for the coffee. If I wanted hot chocolate I'd go to Lindt (cept that its like really inconveniently placed for us).

Then went down to the Harbour. On the way, popped into some comic book store. They had some Simpsons stuff, but it was pretty avex.

Went down to the Chinese Gardens. Took a few photos in their, but V wasn't happy cos it was the wrong time of day and he was trying to take photos of ponds in front of the Novotel and it wasn't working cos it was too bright.
Saw some people wandering around in traditional garb and assumed they were traditional like people. But then it turned out that anybody could take the clothes and take their own pictures all pretend like. And, more surprisingly, there were quite a lot of people doing it....
Saw some trees which looked like the cherry blossom trees, as seen on The Last Samurai (and others). But they were really small, so I could be completely wrong about that.
And, finally, cos I'd been hanging out for some since not seeing any in Chinatown and associated places - saw some Bonsai. And, man, it was some good Bonsai. They had the little versions for sale, the cheapest being $25, but transport would be impossible. And I'm sure that growing one would be next to impossible, but....I just can't resist miniature versions of huge trees.

Then went to McDonalds. I had the unnamed burger - which had a name. Like homestyle beef burger, or something. It actually wasn't that bad. And, finally, got a vanilla thickshake. Which tasted kinda weird. Great....

Walked through the Earth from Above exhibition again, then went to the wharf on the other side of Cockle Bay and sat there for a while. Then went up to the Maritime museum. Didn't go in, of cos, but saw the boats outside. Some sub, some destroyer and the good ol' Endeavour (junior). As I remember, I've seen it before when it was newly built before it went on its voyage to Sydney and across to England back in Fremantle (cos that's where they built it). Didn't go on it then - and didn't now, cos it was like $15. Amazes me how damn small it is.

Then went back to Earth from Above. I bought the big book for my mum. And man, she better appreciate it, cos it is so damn heavy. Not cheap either, but what do you expect. Unfortunately, its not in direct sync with the photos on display there. Cos my favourite (and it seems to fascinate most people there) is the World Trade Centre. Cos its on a great angle showing the huge expanse of New York - and, of course, its no longer there. But that was only available on the DVD. Too bad.... There is one of New York without the towers in the book, apparently. I didn't see it, tho. But my mum isn't fond of cityscapes anyway.

Then went over to Star City. Pretty unimpressive really - like Burswood, but smaller. Didn't go into the casino - once you've seen one you've seen them all, really. Besides, whats the point if I'm not gonna throw away some money; and I don't have any to spare. But it had a rather nice view, so took some more panoramas from up near the stop of the stairs. They should call it Stair City, in my opinion - I've had enough of all this climbing.

Then went back over to the proper Cockle Bay Wharf. Saw I'm Angus, so that's nice to know; that it exists, and that.

Then we walked back - that book was really heavy. And V had bought the little book, so he was in some pain, too.
Got back to KC about 5. Had a bit of a rest, which was nice. Then left again at 5:45.

Went down to the food court. Had Oporto - it only opened there late last week. And its one of the few places that stays open past about 6. Still had to wait a while for the chicken.

So went down to Redfern again, and over to the Hillsong city one. We heard on Friday that Powerhouse (which is 18-25 of the United bit) was changing to Wednesday nights at 7:30. So that was pretty momentous - cos it was a first for everyone. But, it turned out to be 8. Still, talked for a while to some guy from Grace Assembly in Malaysia. But he'd been over about 3 years, and been hanging around Australians, so didn't seem like it.

So the service bit was pretty similar to the United thing on Friday. It seemed a bit more cosy though, which was nice. Speaker, April Miller, was talking about how one can make a difference. But you need to break down barriers of insecurities which limit what you think you can do. Used the example of Gideon in Judges. But she said that Gideon defeated the Mideonites with a loaf of bread, which isn't really right (as I checked later on). It was just that one of the Mideonites dreamed that a loaf of bread knocked over one of their tents, and he was told by another that that represented Gideon of Israel who would defeat them. Then, when Gideon and his 300 (oooh, coincidence!) came down they got so scared and confused that they fought each other. Anyway....

Left about 9:30 and went back to King's Cross. Once again, people were in there sleeping already, even though it was only just after 10. But the saxophone guy was outside again....
Thus, slept about 11:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home