Wednesday, July 11, 2007

"The ants went marching two by two. Hurrah! Hurrah!"

I've been humming that tune a lot lately as I've been walking around. It seems an appropriate commentary on the rush rush type society that is especially noticeable over here. Similarly to the Schindler's List train thing that V was talking about - that its all some strange, mechanical procession, with a somewhat military-esque feel.
Besides that, its a good tune. One of the reasons I think Die Hard with a Vengeance is the best one. And Die Hard 4.0 is coming out next month - so maybe its just some subconscious thing; cos I am pretty sure it will be a disappointment. Oh, well.
Incidentally, saw a bible on the bed of one of the new room guys (they're coming and going pretty fast nowadays). I mentioned to V that maybe he'd felt 'the call' to the streets of King's Cross. Man, how crazy would you have to be? Which is the point, I suppose....
And noticed that there's a Bada Bing just down the road. All I have to do is find a way to take a picture of it without getting myself killed. Ah hah. Hah.
How I wish I was being sarcastic....

Got up with my alarm at 9, after another satisfying nights sleep. My earplugs are working really well suddenly, or something.
Left about 9:30 and walked down to the city, as is the tradition. It was cloudy as nonsense out the window, and had obviously rained fairly heavy rather recently, so wore my jacket - which was still a bit wet from two days ago. Oh well - nothing you can do, really. But it didn't really rain the whole day. Bah!

Went to the discount store first off (after V got a sausage roll for breakfast, but I wasn't hungry) to look for another suitcase for me, cos I'm planning to buy more stuff and I'll need the space. Plus, then I can throw away the bag that I'm carrying around at the moment, cos its got quite a few holes, and use the smaller bag that I bought as a carry on to the plane (this is not till the journey back, you understand). Anyway, they had a quite OK one in quite an OK size for $45. V was saying that there won't be any cheaper than that, but I remember seeing some cheap ones in Chinatown so thought I should look there first. I don't need it until that last day, anyway.
Then went to Myer. I was looking for a pair of blue trousers and a black jacket for work. Found a black jacket, but with stripes - but it was $150. So I put that one my list. Also eventually found some blue pants for like less than $40, so that was good, too. But we decided to come back later and get them.
So then we walked out and discovered that we were right under the tower (as in, THE tower). And there were people with gates outside the lifts to the restaurant, but not the normal lift. So, we thought, here we go. But then we went up and there were separate tower lifts, with a long line that required tickets that were minimum $25 or something. So, said V, forget that. Too bad, I guess. I guess what they say isn't true - the best things in life you have to pay for.

So then went out and went across to the Apple store. I got a itrip for use in my car. It sources power straight from the ipod, so it might drain the battery a bit - but at least I should be safe from it destroying my radio fuse again. Besides, its so small and neat.....and a nice dark shiny black colour, like the ipod is.
Then we went back to the mall. V looked at the Sunglass Hut for, um, sunglasses. He tried on heaps of pairs and found some he liked - but they were almost $200. He says when he gets a job he'll go back and buy them.
Then we went into a jewellery store right next door. V reckoned it looked way to expensive, but they had heaps of watches, so I figured there must be a reasonably cheap one somewhere in the mix. So we went over to the Casio counter and I saw something that looked exactly like what I wanted. And it was water proof and had like this sapphire scratch resistant glass stuff. And it was only $150, which was a bit more than what I was looking for, but I couldn't stop staring at it, so decided to get it anyway.
After that walked down to the cheap CD place, cos V had all these ones in mind from before, apparently. Then I ended up getting 5 as well (for $10 each) - best of Crowded House, best of Fleetwood Mac, Emergency on Planet Earth by Jamiroquai, Around the Sun by REM and My Iron Lung by Radiohead. I also wanted a best of Cat Stevens, and V wanted the best of Midnight Oil - but in that we were disappointed.

So then it was about 1, so we went up to Fullhouse to eat Japanese. V had wanted to go there on Saturday, but it had been closed. We waited a while for the food - but, man, that was the best chicken katsu I've ever had - it was perfect. And only $9 for the set. Oh, Yuki, why can you not learn?
We left in kinda a hurry, cos it was crowded and people kept coming in. So we went down to Border's so we could keep on relaxing. Found some really great books - Steal This Book, which had all these tips about how to scam free stuff, set up pirate radio, vulnerable positions to hit people in fights and buy, sell and grow drugs. And, finally, Mein Kampf - but I don't want to buy that, lest my name go on some secret government list. Besides, reading just a small section further convinces me that its gonna be very difficult to swallow so much carp, and I am pretty sure I'm not gonna want it sitting around once I've read it once.
Then I went upstairs to the fiction section and looked more at Crime and Punishment. I managed to find the bit where he commits the crime - but hitting some old woman over the head with an axe twice. Fascinating book....but I still resisted the urge to buy it. Mainly cos the cheap copy was in rather bad shape. I guess that's my excuse, anyway....

Then we went back across the mall down into the international food court, cos V wanted to get a jacket from Giordanos. But that one didn't have it, so we walked down to George street to the one next to the cinema. And there were still plenty there. I tried on some jumper but, as I suspected, it is clothes made for people with more flattering proportions than mine. V got another jumper as well.
Then we walked back to Myer, so I could buy the aforementioned jacket, pants, and I got three ties for max $25 each. Odd colours, perhaps, but the shirts I got are odd colours too - so I'm sure there'll be some sort of combination that kinda goes, somewhere in there. I think the colours are pretty simple. We'll see, I suppose.
Then we went back down to the international food court, for no other reason than to sit, as this walking is a killer. There's a GJs down there (of cos - they're everywhere), so I got a VVL (one of these days, I'll try something different). V got a fruit salad; I think mainly to appease his health concerned conscience. That's what he said, anyway.

Then it was about 5, and we went back to the internet cafe, cos V needed it for job stuff, and we'd already decided to watch Zodiac at 9:15, so it was better to go do that now. Finished about 6:45.
So went looking for dinner, and found Chick to Go - which V wanted desperately to try, just cos of the name, I'm sure. Actually, it was called Ali Barber, I think; cos it was that kinda region styled chicken. And V just got chicken and chips - which included pocket bread (and he said it was even better than Nandos) -but I got a Greek lamb kebab. So who knows what was going on there, really.

Then it was only 7:30, and there was still 1.5 hours+ to go till the movie started. But we went and got tickets anyway - that wasted a little bit of time.
Then did some more 'walking the earth'. Ended up at Hyde Park and walked around (because it was closed) the ANZAC memorial. Saw a brushtail possum, which was nice, even though I'm sure they're really common around here - and just to prove me right, we ended up seeing another 5 or so that night. Also saw a few rats. Lovely. We tried to convince ourselves they were nice native bush rats. But I seriously doubt it.

So then we walked back. There were heaps of people around for Harry Potter - which V cannot bring himself to go watch.
We went into Zodiac 20 minutes early and there was noone there (dur Fred...). But eventually about 15 showed up.
It was almost a 3 hour show, based on a true story and they didn't catch the guy in the end (which V knew, so he was convinced it would suck). But the story moved along really well, and it didn't feel at all long to me. I really liked Robert Downey Jr. (cos he was so wacko - like Johnny Depp visa vie Captain Jack Sparrow) and the two main San Francisco detectives (always going on about animal crackers). Also noted the FBI agent from Heroes as a prison inmate - how ironic. And another Heroes connection I noted a bit later on, although of course it rang a bell at the time - its about a serial killer who takes his name from a brand of watch. Now, that cannot be coincidence....

So it finished at 12 and we walked back - still carrying all that stuff. Mainly the jacket was annoying, cos if you carry it by the hanger it swings and gets all this wind resistance, and if you don't there is no grip.
Set my alarm for 9:30 instead of 9 - for a bit of sleep in.
Slept at exactly 1. Super!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home