Saturday, July 14, 2007

"Something tells me its all happening at the zoo. I do believe it. I do believe its true" - Simon and Garfunkel

Wore trackie pants to bed last night - I finally succumbed to the colder nights. And I think it worked. Mostly.
V hardly got any sleep - there was some guy busking with a saxophone at 1AM, apparently. Anyway, so he took a while getting up.
Left about 10.

Walked down to the city. I had to draw money. Then found a convenience store, so I bought some H2Go water with a lemon and lime twist. It was $4, but, man, was it good.

Got the ferry zoopass and went over there. It was pretty kinda crowded...

Took lots of photos of the city. After seeing Noisy Minahs on the first day and then not since, suddenly they were everywhere. Along with Indian Mynas.

Saw some reptiles. Took photos of the star tortoise, which looked cool and was moving well, and the komodo dragon, which was insanely huge, but (or perhaps so) it was not moving at all.
Then saw giraffes and zebras and found the food place so had lunch.
Then saw some primates of some sort, then a cluster of fairy penguins - some good photo posing. Then saw some of the usual boring Australian animals.
Saw some crested pigeons in with the farm animals - don't think they were supposed to be there, but it was nice.
Went to the seals and there was a show just about to start. It looked pretty good, but we were right up the back standing behind the fence, so some of the stuff was a bit hard to see.
Then went down and saw gorillas - some big thing.
Then saw elephants, bears, lions and tigers. Tried to take a photo of a porcupine, but it was too dark. Got a good one of the meercats, though. And the snow leopard - I could only do a super close up, cos the mid shot focused on the bars instead.
Then kept going along and there was the bird show - I think it had only just started. But once again we were right up the back, so only got swooped once at the finale by a cockatoo, who's wing nearly touched my nose.
Then went looking for the platypus. Tried the nature walk thing first, but it wasn't there (to be seen). So went to the proper exhibit and there it was. Pretty much as I expected. And completely unphotographable.
Then went outside and saw an echidna. Also a quokka (like I ever needed to see one of them again) - but it looked a lot more healthy than the Rottnest ones.

So then we took the skylift back. There were heaps of people waiting for the ferry - luckily two came at once.
Got back and went up Pitt street. Went into the Adidas shop, but there wasn't nothing. So went into Myer again. And, as fate would have it, found some $30 (on sale) jeans. So....
Then went to the food court below, but most things were closed. So I had no real choice but to have a crepe, Mexican flavoured. It was alright - have to say the Fremantle ones are better - they're so much more substantial.

Then went over to the cinema with the idea of watching POTC 3. But it had started 10 minutes before, and there was a long line for tickets, so we decided to watch Fantastic Four instead.
It was very average. Some good movement scenes and special effects, I guess, and some of the jokes were OK - but it just seemed so formulaic, and they hardly used their powers except for comedic purposes and incidental tasks. Oh well....

Then went to Woolworths at 8:30. I got some more water (just plain - there was no flavoured stuff that I could see), deodorant and toothpaste (just in case).
Then went to the internet cafe till 10. I got a Caramellatte from GJs - I'm seriously wasting my money with these poor substitutes... The VVL kicks butt.

Incidentally, the Our Daily Bread for tonight was about z00keepers knowing that you shouldn't pick up snakes by their tails. So, there you go.
Slept about 11:45.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home