Friday, October 20, 2006

Sideshow Bob: "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth handler you! I deride your truth handling abilities!"

The view from my grandma's house. I think it was a bit too dark at the time. And the optical zoom on my camera is too small - this is with 2x digital as well.

Got up around 7. I was rather tired.

Apparently, it was supposed to be loud shirt day today. I wore light blue, cos it was about the only one I had left, apart from black, and I wasn't gonna wear that cos it was supposed to be 32 degrees. Mogli wore this weird striped green thing. It was pretty loud.

Really hard to do like any work. I was standing around Mogli's desk for a lot of the time, although he was mainly asking me about his relatives and their possible tax position.

Stayed around for part of lunch, cos Mogli was still talking about his relatives and stuff, plus we were talking about the Sunday wedding dinner thing.

Went home and changed and went out to my Grandma's house to meet my parents. I told them to wait for lunch, so we went to Sizzler, at about 2:30. I got the full salad bar and also a Mega Cheeseburger. The burger tasted too much like MacDonalds, but it was pretty huge. However, the salads and stuff were actually really impressive - so I figured next time I'll just get salad bar. The deserts weren't great - though I was really full by that stage..... but the bread and butter pudding tasted too caramelly and the icecream, the soft serve stuff, was too....weak. My mum says its fake icecream, but this was like fake fake icecream.

Went to visit my Grandma after that. I was really impressed by the home - it didn't have that like hospital type smell. The colour of the carpet and a lot of the walls was red, though - it seemed strange.
She was quite alright. Then some other old lady (who looked and sounded like Paulie's mother - Cookie - now ex-mother - from The Sopranos) came over and kinda interrupted our family conversation. But then she started talking to my Grandma and they were still going when we left.... my parents said that was good.

Then went to the house and spent some tiring hours going through all this stuff. I got some kitchen stuff, but a lot of it was quite old, so I'm not sure how useful it will be. I also took the globe and the Newton clacker thing..... were these little metal balls on strings transfer energy in weird ways to each other.....its a great demonstration of practical physics (sigh), and a small, rather dirty rug.
Also took my Grandad's coin collection to try and get some values on some stuff. The most interesting thing is some weird coin, which my initial inquiries have led me to believe its a Merovingian (yes....the Matrix guy) Denier, of circa. 8th century France. But, of course, its probably just a casting of one. If that's even what it is. Although some of the Deniers that I saw have the t and the M, I didn't see any with the E. And none have a design that is similar enough to say its of the same general time/place.
there's also some special bank currency, like an old $5 note with serial number 10000000. And some commemorative coins of Australia's 150th and 175 anniversary. Plus heaps of pre-decimal currency (mainly pennies) from 1895 to about 1950.
I also took some books - a fieldwatcher's guide to birds, two volumes of Children's Shakespeare (presented to my Grandma in 1933 and 34) and an illustrated Shakespeare which appears to be even older.

Left about 8, and it was still really warm. Did half my washing and put away all the stuff and tried to find a decent coin valuation site (without success). Then I took the rest of my washing and various other things and went to 13's house, cos he was already in Singapore.

Watched a bit of Foxtel, but went to bed fairly early, cos I was really quite worn out. Though it was probably after 12.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home