Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Lucy: "Is he safe?"

Mrs. Beaver: "Haven't you been listening to a word I've said? He's a lion....THE lion. Of course he's not safe! But he's good...."

Note that this is posting 104. Maybe I should have a '104th Posting Special' and review the memorable moments from the past 103 postings.....
...nah

Woke up again about 7:45. Was all ready by 9, ready to take my car in and get it fixed. And then, it turns out that it cannot be done till the 19th. The 19th! I'm sure my insurance company is saving a few dollars, but what about the inconvieniance to me?
(right in the middle of planetshakers, too)

Went to Koorong, cos its the 15% off sale. Bought 'The Misson Bell' by delirious? and 'The Weight of Glory' by CS Lewis. The former, cos their last CD was probably their best yet, and the new one sounds pretty good too, yeah? The latter, cos it was recommended by my lecturer. He also recommended 'A Grief Observed', but I couldn't find that. Actually, they are both essays, not novels, and the book 'The Weight of Glory' actually has about 5 others in it. Plus, I found a compendium which also contained said essay. But not 'A Grief Observed'. Tis strange.....

Went then to the butcher. Surprisingly, bought some meat and stuff. Though, I didn't.

Then went to Coles (shock! horror!), cos I wanted my budget steak. Bought a Picnic, cos my Cadbury Favourites thing from Christmas only had 1. And that disappeared without my rememberance. I think FD ate it, but he won't own up. Also bought some milk chocolate eggs with the candy shells. Had a scary thought that they must be for Easter, which, of course, isn't for about 3.5 months. And Christmas is barely a week old.

Went back home and left almost immediately for Osborne Park, with Katty and Shar. Went to KFC for lunch first. I had the, quote:
Large bacon and cheese zinger burger combo
However, they were out of Mountain Doo bottles, so I had to have Pepsi. Also, they tried to pass me off some small fries. I sorted that out though! Hah!
(the burger was pretty nice)

Went then to The Good Guys in Osborne Park. I bought an automatic coffee grinder, which apparently has like a built in timer, or something, to grind the beans either coarsely or finely all by itself. Am doubtful it will work very well.
Its ticket price was $39, but I paid less....cos I paid cash. Yay!

Went then to Kitchen Warehouse. Just wandered around. No-one bought nothing. FD just wanted to go, for some reason.

Then, to Ikea (pronounced 'ickier'). Once again, I bought nothing. Other people did, though. Super!

Took the freeway straight to Harbourtown. Had a VVL. Was....OK, only. Could've been better. A lot better. Sort of.

Spent the rest of the afternoon, till about 6:15, listening to my Delirious? CD and looking for more pictures of albumn covers to make the display in itunes pretty. Found a few more than I had.....but my computer was having a difficult time coping, speed wise. Hopefully, this harddrive thing will sort it out. It'd better!

Then played AOEII till 7. Started the last mission in Joan of Arc again, and did considerably better. I have annhilated two puny rivals, and established a more secure home base. But haven't really advanced very far.

Went for dinner at Ipoh Garden in Applecross. Took a while for the food to come, and when it did it was rather small. And not well mixed. But, it was food, which is nice.

Then met V and his youngest sister and some of their friends to watch 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe' at Garbo. Except for some painfully drawn out 'action' scenes, I think it kept to the book pretty faithfully. The discussion between Aslan and Jadis was kept basically 'as is', thus the most glaring Christian allusion was preserved. And Aslan's march up to the stone table almost looked like something from 'The Passion of the Christ', which, I guess, was good. But, on the whole, the film wasn't very enjoyable. It seemed very dry and tired - by far the best acting was the voice of Liam Neeson as Aslan. The jokes, most of which were additional to the book, were quite 'Diz-nee'-fied and predictable and old. The scary bits were not scary enough, yet the battle scene was over the top violent, for a kiddie-type show.
I feel that if the chronciles continue, when they get to 'The Last Battle', there is not much chance of them capturing the feel of that book - in my opinion, the greatest in the series; both in terms of enjoyment, and also in Christian allegory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home