Saturday, March 24, 2007

Bank Teller: "I don't have your money here - its in Bill's house, and Fred's house."

Moe: "Hey, what are you doing with my money in your house, Fred?"
[fight breaks out]

It seems that The Simpsons has done a few million little homages to Its a Wonderful Life - at least three episodes I can think of without trying. Inc. that one.

Got up about 10:30.

After showering, I went straight down to the post office, cos I thought it was this thing that they open till 12 on Saturdays. And they were shut. So, the saga continues....

Had a bit of breakfast, and drunk a bit of coffee. Then continued watching Bonnie and Clyde, which I started about two weeks ago or something. And it also included a scene which was fairly obscurely referenced scene in The Simpsons - where Mr Burns is in his car and is hassled by the redneckishness of Lenny. Which I believe causes Smithers to go on vacation and hire Homer as his replacement.
Anyway, so there was plenty of gunfire and stuff, though not as many bank robberies as I expected - there were only two successful ones as I recall. And there was Gene Hackman being almost unrecognisable cos he was so young. And the final scene was surely referenced by the Godfather where Sonny is shot, cos it was way too similar to be a coincidence. Though The Godfather version was slightly more over the top.

Then went shopping, where I again brought nothing interesting. Although I did forget to get some stuff, it wasn't anything important. And, once again, I got the last packet of choc chip hot cross buns. Craziness!

Then went to Video Ezy, where me and Pseudo-Unreal got that 9 movies offer thing - I picked 4, all of which I was fairly proud of (as in, high on my list) - Its a Wonderful Life, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Maltese Falcon and American Psycho. Spot the odd one out...hah! Slight hint - all the others were made prior to about 1960, or so.

Then went to Jesters to get the triple choc and custard pie. It was OK, but the hard pastry and the quite liquid centre made it a quite messy eating experience.

Watched Its a Wonderful Life, whose whole point is its ending, which was very good - but it seems like a very long film to reach that point. And the whole flashback bit is like; um, so what? Its certainly not applicable to my life. Or most of us insignificant little people, I think. Its different if you know someone, and then they go away, as opposed to never knowing them in the first place. Anyway....

Watched The Simpsons, then started watching Bridge on the River Kwai while doing some ironing. And I am very impressed with Alec 'Kenobi' Guinness so far - he's certainly carrying the film. Though at present I can't see it going on much longer. And we've hardly even seen anything of the bridge as yet. Ridiculously similar to The Great Escape at the moment - its like that was the German version, and this is the Japanese one.

And then it was my favourite film with predominantly female leads, AKA Charlie's Angels. Pity about Drew Barrymore - though she has some good scenes, I guess. But it spoils the overall visual aesthetic, for me.

Slept about 11:30. Or was it 10:30???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home