Monday, September 19, 2005

Countdown to a resigning - 9 (business) days to go...

Marge: "The plant called - they said if you don't come in today, don't bother coming in Monday"
Homer: "Woo-hoo; four day weekend!"

So today there was the normal monday morning meeting, and one of the partners says "Joe will be finishing up in two weeks" - and people made the normal jokes like "this is the first he's hearing about it". And, while I was expecting that they'd announce it, it was still a kind of shock. I've been in the process of resigning officially for two weeks, unofficially for an extra two and a half, and been seriously thinking about it for about a month prior. So, it feels like a long time, and theres still two weeks left to go.

And I decided to keep this journal - cos it is a big deal, and I anticipate having some weeks off before I start another job, so I should have the time to actually continue it for a little bit of a while at least.

So firstly - was it the right decision? Absolutely. Although I have been more busy in the past few weeks so the time hasn't always dragged by (with the secondhand on the clock moving backwards, etc), generally, with each passing week, the weekend takes longer to get here and I'm becoming more and more distracted. I really feel that if I stayed on a further 6 months to a year, the partners would be seriously questioning my committment, etc. As they did briefly mention that they had noticed something to some extent when I made known my leaving decision to them. Although some signs, which, four weeks ago were all pointing out the door, have now begun to swing round and point back, the biggest sign, being the impact of boredom on my sanity, is still as poignant as ever, if not, as I mentioned before, moreso.

And now that the announcement has been made and my jobs are starting to shrivel up, I am becoming more excited about the potential time off. While I do have some savings, which could theoretically last 6 months of bare neccessities, I don't really want to use them up considerably - I am still 'in the red' based on a loan to my parents. However, the prospect of sleeping in, wearing clothes I want, walking around on weekdays, having (how can I contain myself) TOO MUCH free time - it makes it even more difficult to concentrate.

My saxophone, learning Mandarin, sudying the Old Testament, FCC's accounts, the like 5 books to read - plus goodness knows what else - they all await me. The big question is how I will be able to go back to a 9-5 job. But I guess it needs to be done. Certainly, at present, I don't see any other way. I can still pray for a miracle, though.........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home